VW Forum banner

Jetta Performance Chip

36K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Big~Kenny 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 gl 2.0L, and was wondering if anybody makes a performance chip for my car, ive been looking and cant find anything. I just whant more horsepower without turboing my car.

#3 ·
I've heard the wetterauer (sp?) chip is a good chip for the 2.0,, as for tracking it down....I don't know. Techtonics makes a chip for the 2.0 I believe. There isn't a whole lot of free power you gain by doing anything. What I mean is, on the 1.8T you can add an exhaust and get like 10-15hp. You can't do that on the 2.0

#8 ·
A chip on the 2.0 will only give you 5-7 HP, add intake & exhaust w/ the chip and you will see an 10-11 HP.... alot of money for a max of 12HP upgrade... why do you not wanna turbo it? The only way to really add much power on the 2.0L is a forced induction system.... If your set on chipping your car, Giac makes a good chip... not sure if you will even notice much of a differance tho.

#9 ·
stkshftgti said:
A chip on the 2.0 will only give you 5-7 HP, add intake & exhaust w/ the chip and you will see an 10-11 HP.... alot of money for a max of 12HP upgrade... why do you not wanna turbo it? The only way to really add much power on the 2.0L is a forced induction system.... If your set on chipping your car, Giac makes a good chip... not sure if you will even notice much of a differance tho.

i'm sure he doesn't want to turbo it because of the amount of money you would put in to see minimal gains and the expense to do it is outrageous. and not everyone can afford to just go turbo.

#10 ·
a chip on a 2.0 is definitely noticeable. i know the tt one is about 100 bucks. it is a worthwhile upgrade because i feel it does add a little fun to driving the pig 2.0. throttle response is much better, and the powerband is widened just a tad. plus i like the fact that i can run up to the full 7k on the tach, not that it has any power up there. but like everyone states, the only way to get power out of the 2.0 is to go forced induction. get the chip and an exhaust and swiss cheese your airbox or get an intake and then, thats it. when you get bored, find a vr6. thats what i am doing.

#11 ·
i noticed a difference when i put exhaust on my car, the throttle response was alot better from the original exhaust. that and a K&N fliter is all ive done to the car and got those 18" GLI rims. And the reason i havnt turboed it is because of the little thing called money........Im thinking of getting strut bars to for a little bit better handling. My Dad and i are going to buy a older GTI and fix that up nice anyway, sense my Dad restores VW's so when it comes time to turbo anything it will be the GTI.

#13 ·
BLAST FROM THE PAST!

uhmm...Popular ones would probbly be
1. APR
2. GIAC
3. Unitronic

there are more but those are the 3 i hear the most. From what I've heard I THINK that APR is kinda your average chip. Good power gains, but nothing too over the top. GIAC gives a little more than the APR chip i THINK (notice i keep saying think). Don't know a whole whole lot about unitronic but i do know some of the guys on here are running it.
Hope this helps a little bit.

#15 ·
dont even bother turboing the 2.0.

just get a 1.8t if u want boost.
or a vr6.
bottom line.. 2.0 = economical econo car..
leave it at that. just go for looks. call it a day. ride it low and slow.

& yes.. u can go stage 2 might need bigger fuel pressure regulator though.

#19 ·
Iv got CAI, Full exhaust (header, catless downpipe, Magnaflow Cat-Back) on my 2.slow, and its still just that, Slow, especially when i bolt my 18's on, then your downshifting into every little hill. Even though i dont have more the $300 into those parts, my car is no where near a stock 1.8t.

I took a '01 Wolfsburg for a drive the other day (AWW Code 150hp), and it just pulled way harder then my car, and it was completely stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.