VW Forum banner

air in brake line

5K views 19 replies 2 participants last post by  derf 
#1 ·
Hey! ok, i got one more serious problem to solve before i can get this bug rolling. air in the front two brake lines. the rear lines have no air in them. how do i bleed the master cylinder? some one told me that the lil bolt on top of the mastercylinder, in between the two lines (on top) is a bleeder for that front plunger. help please:confused:

#2 ·
Just bleed them at the wheel cylinders. You can do this yourself by getting a hose that fits over the bleeder and a jug of some sort. put some brake fluid in the jug and submerge one end of hose into it(you might have to tie something on it to help) keep it submerged) Put the other end over the bleeder and open it up. go inside and pump the push the pedal down slowly. Do this 5 or 6 times . Make sure you don't run out of brake fluid in res. Then close the bleeder and do the other side. Repeat. start with the passenger side. This should get rid of the air if it has some. could be bypassing in the MC. But first before anything make sure all the shoes are adjusting properly or you will just spinning your wheels.(so to speak)

#3 ·
i might not have them adjusted properly. i did so that i had a lil bit of drag on the wheels when i spin them. very flustrating! i am supposed to adjust that star till it drags then back off a hair then do the other star the same, does that sound correct?

#5 ·
Have you had the drums off to check the shoes? Some times the adjusting stars are installed backwards so the shoes won't "slide" like they are supposed to. Drums past wear limit will cause this to as will improper brake rod clearance at MC. Just need a little,don't remember # but not much ,thousandths of an inch. Yes adjust till no drag then back off till slight drag, might have to do this more than once if the bug has had no TLC recently.

#6 ·
pulling the old brake shoes tomorrow! the brakes have a grinding sound when adjusted. like spin the wheel and it will grind for half the rotation and spin freely the rest of that rotation? also the rear brakes...the foward pads are more worn than the rear pads? then that nut holding the drums on, thats gonna be fun getting off and on i bet! haha

#7 ·
new shoes all da way around, and still doesnt stop. got some tiny air bubbles in the front drivers side line?? but still, the back brakes should work, right?? maybe its something to do with the e brake adjustment?? do i adjust that at the pull handle? will that even effect the brake adjust/ bleeding, ect? man this brake deal is kick my butt!

#13 ·
The new MC should have white plastic nipples coming out of the top. these connect to a short piece of blue brake hose which in turn attach to the metal lines coming down from the reservoir. This is how it should be anyway from the factory. The blue hose should pull off if not you might have to slice them tho get them off and replace the blue hose.

#14 ·
cool thanks, i tugged on the connection (where rubber meets lines in top of mc) a lil. got worried. just wanted to be sure. i am really excited, I will actually get to go for a ride after these brakes are fixed!!! Then, i am sure it will still keep me busy (outta trouble), maybe! TGIF

#16 ·
hahaha, hey guess what? i am still not cruising, or stopping! ugh! check this out and see what you think. got the mc, bench bled it (right hopefully) bled rear brkes fine,but nothing in the front! a small squirt of fluid. then looked where brake pedal rod inserts into mc, dripping fluid out. ( when bleeding the front) the line i used for bleeding is see thru, the front would try sucking fluid outta the container a lil bit, the release the pedal and it would return to container. grrrrrrr! adjusted the rod where it had just a slight bit of free travel as well.:confused:

#19 ·
got it done, the mc i had got was no good. no air in the lines, lots of pedal, wooo hooo. it does not stop on a dime but it stops. the e brake is on the 5th click to stop the wheels, so i guess i need to readjust everything now. anyways, glad that crap is done! thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.