VW Forum banner

Smooth rub strip.

26K views 57 replies 10 participants last post by  1.8turbooo 
#1 ·
My rub strip job was bugging me, so I decided I would redo it perfectly, while I was at it I decided I would get rid of the side marker lights and clear up the blemishes it has.

A lot of people take their plates off the front of their bumper after it has already been drilled through.
So this might be appealing to some people who would like to find a way to fill them and/or their side marker lights.

I am just taking pictures while I do this. If you guys are interested I will put together a diy.

#3 ·
#4 ·
That is 110$ shipped. Ground.

I was going to get that, but I don't want the euro plate cut out.
Plus, material cost to smooth it is about 30-40 bucks. 70-80 if you don't have a sander already. And even then, you got a new sander and a smooth rub strip.

#7 ·
Bad idea. Bondo doesn't do well for this type of work on plastic. And the side marker is too big of a hole to just bondo. You'll need to plastic weld or put a piece of plastic there and mold that to the strip.
VWVortex.com - Shaved Bumper DIY here's a DIY on bumper shaving. It has the materials needed to do the molding and a general idea on what it takes to fill those types of gaps.

#8 ·
No I'm using the side marker as plastic to fill the gap. The bondo won't be a structural part of the rub strip. I already completed the holes from the plate and they actually came out REALLY well. I had filled the holes a long time ago so the bondo there is like concrete. Now I had just added more to fade to it and feathered it all out, it's smooth.

That epoxy looks pretty nice though.

#9 ·
It's coming out great so far. I should be able to get the first coat of primer on tonight and see how well I got the blemishes out! After I run by it with some more sand paper of course. The other sidemarker is drying right now, going to sand it down, refill completely flush, dry again sand, wash and feel, sand with a higher grit all around, wash and feel. Ect.. Then prime. Goal to do that all in the next hour or so.

Attachments

#11 ·
This is my second time ever using bondo. :D

It really looks like it's coming out great. I'm going to try to get my hands on some apoxy in the morning to strengthen the sidemarkers from the back side, just to make sure it's not going anywhere. It's supported mostly by the tabs right now.

#22 ·
Honestly, I'd say just buy the one from ECS.

The only reason I didnt is because the euro bumper cut out bugs me.
If I ever get a bran new bumper I'll buy the ECS one and have a body shop fill the plate cut out flush.

3rd coat of clear coat.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.