BlueTooth functionality on base model 2011 Jetta - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
MK6 Discussion area for the sixth generation Golf, GTI, R32, New Rabbit and Jetta from 2009 to 2011.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

BlueTooth functionality on base model 2011 Jetta

My 2006 Civic Hybrid got mooshed by a tractor-trailer and they gave me a rental Jetta 2011, I think it's the base S model (lacks paint on mirrors, plastic hubcaps). The rental company helpfully removed the manual (and ownership, etc. Weird.)

I'm trying to set up the stereo so I can play podcasts from iPhone. The stereo has a Setup item for "BT Mode" (or something like that), with two settings, On and Off. It was set to Off, so I switched On. However, the iPhone doesn't see any new BT devices.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Points: 740, Level: 14 Points: 740, Level: 14 Points: 740, Level: 14

The BT in the VW's is not too awesome. In order to make it work you have to take it in to the dealership and have them do something. My understanding is that they all come wired for BT but unless it is installed when you purchase the car, it is not active. It is such a tease and one of those stupid items that the dealers up sell you on. How to connect smartphone bluetooth to 2006 Audi A6 MMI

Last edited by B_Fuller; 09-26-2011 at 06:24 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 AM
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

I also have new Jetta 2011 base model and it has no BT.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post
My 2006 Civic Hybrid got mooshed by a tractor-trailer and they gave me a rental Jetta 2011, I think it's the base S model (lacks paint on mirrors, plastic hubcaps). The rental company helpfully removed the manual (and ownership, etc. Weird.)

I'm trying to set up the stereo so I can play podcasts from iPhone. The stereo has a Setup item for "BT Mode" (or something like that), with two settings, On and Off. It was set to Off, so I switched On. However, the iPhone doesn't see any new BT devices.

Any advice?
I recently got a 2011 base "S" model Jetta Sportwagen. In addition to the radio having the interface to enable BT mode, there are three inconspicuous buttons in the ceiling near the sunglasses storage area (may not be in yours, or may be located in a different place), one of which controls whether the car's BT is broadcasting its existence so that pairing/connection can take place. After you press the button, you have I think 2 minutes to use your iPhone to find/pair/connect with it. Default factory pairing PIN for connection is "0000." Hope you have it; good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Points: 148, Level: 2 Points: 148, Level: 2 Points: 148, Level: 2

I've gotten pretty good at using the BT system, so I hope this helps. I don't have the steering wheel buttons (using the steering wheel I assume would be easier). So this is directions for controlling the home screen with the buttons on the right knob.

You first have to pair your phone with the BT system through the settings option in the main menu on your dash - between the guages. If you are seeing for example mph, mpg, mpg avg. or anything else on that display, press and hold the button on the tip down a few seconds until the main menu pops up. In the main menu screen you can switch in between Phone(BT), Audio, and MFI (regular mph screen) even when you're driving - pretty handy when you get used to it.
For now, push down until you get to settings. Push the OK button on the underside of the knob. There should be an option here to set up BT by adding a new user. Click OK, and when it asks the password is 0000. Then when it starts looking for devices, you have to check your phone and allow the VW BT system access onto your phone. Once allowed, your phone should show up on the search screen (as iPhone, Droid, or Blackberry). Click OK and you've configured BT. To get back to the main menu you hold the OK button.

The BT mode you're finding on the radio player is for playing music through your phone once you get BT running. To enable this you have to find it through the settings option on your radio - separate from the screen on your dash. If you have already enabled it then just push the media button until it is in that mode. On your device, push play on the song you want to hear, and it takes about 2-3 seconds to start playing.

**If you're not seeing BT Mode even if it has already been enabled, you need to go back into the main menu screen where you programmed your phone. Push OK on Phone, then go to settings, then BT audio (or mp3) device. Just click OK on that and the music should now work when you pick a song.

**If your phone is connected through BT and you push play on a song and it doesn't play, it has to do with the media setting on the radio. You always have to manually put it back to BT mode after listening to a CD or iPod.

The buttons by the sunglasses container are for:
1. Searching for a BT device (for 4 min) - BT must be turned on on your phone for this to work
2. Pick up button: to answer a call AND to activate the command system when you want to call someone else (The command system pisses me off, but it's doable)
3. Hang up

After you get BT setup, everytime you unlock your car it will automatically search for your device.

-Brian
2011 Golf 2.5L Reflex Silver 2D 5M - VW 17x7.5 Goals, tinted windows 35 & 20%, painted side markers, 12" Alpine Type R w/ 1600 watt Kenwood Exelon amp & 1 farrad cap.
Ordered: APR Carbonio Intake
Future: AWE CB and APR stage 1 software when avail, Neuspeed Pulley, PolyU EM
2005 GTI 1.8t Indigo Blue 2D 5M - Traded
1995 Eagle Talon TSI Blue 2D 5M - Sold

Last edited by bjohnson; 03-19-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: more specific
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.