VW Forum banner

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST VW/AUDI

17K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  mikowilliams 
#1 ·
Our law firm has filed a proposed nationwide class action lawsuit against Volkswagen and Audi based on defects affecting numerous vehicle models.

The affected vehicles include the Passat, Passat Wagon, Jetta, GTI, and several Audi models, model years 1997 to present.

Due to the identified defects, water enters the vehicle and causes damage to vehicle components and the interior, resulting in costly repairs and diminished value of the vehicles. Our investigation revealed that Volkswagen and Audi typically deny warranty claims for these repairs.

If you have owned or leased a Volkswagen or Audi vehicle that has suffered water-related damage between 1997 and the present, please contact me at ClassActionAttorney@Gmail.com . I am particularly interested in owners and lessees who attempted to have this damage fixed under warranty and had their claims denied.

Matthew

ClassActionAttorney@Gmail.com

#3 ·
Yes, sunroof drains are one of the problems that allow water to enter the vehicle. However, the pollen filter assembly design on these vehicles seems to be the larger problem. When water enters the vehicle from that area, critical components like the TCM (located under the passenger seat on the carpet) are damaged.

This appears to be a widespread problem on these vehicles, and resulted in the issuance of a TSB in 2004.

#5 ·
There is a recall for this actually now. The dealer will re seal the pollen filter box with some bead sealer stuff, remove both rubber drains from the cowl and cut both drains off in the door jams. I do atleast 2 a week. Anyone that has a passat that qualifies for it should get a letter in the mail. Yea volkswagen decided to put all the modules under the carpet, on passenger side and driverside.

#8 ·
duke said:
If there is a TSB then why file a lawsuit? They already made an attempt to fix the problem. Like I said, the sunroof drain issue happens to any car with a sunroof. It happened to my 89 Prelude, but I'm not suing Honda over it.
Issuing a TSB does not mean they made an attempt to try to fix the problem. All it means is that they acknowledged the problem. Further, VW told their service centers to deny warranty claims for this problem.

To answer your question, we filed a lawsuit because this has happened to a lot of people and they have had to incur a few thousand dollars in repairs because VW denied their warranty claims, despite their acknowledgement of the defect.

#9 ·
ClassActionAttorney said:
duke said:
If there is a TSB then why file a lawsuit? They already made an attempt to fix the problem. Like I said, the sunroof drain issue happens to any car with a sunroof. It happened to my 89 Prelude, but I'm not suing Honda over it.
Issuing a TSB does not mean they made an attempt to try to fix the problem. All it means is that they acknowledged the problem. Further, VW told their service centers to deny warranty claims for this problem.

To answer your question, we filed a lawsuit because this has happened to a lot of people and they have had to incur a few thousand dollars in repairs because VW denied their warranty claims, despite their acknowledgement of the defect.
Well, from what Matt said it seems they have made an effort to fix the problems. Sounds like you guys no longer have a case.

#11 ·
quote] Well, from what Matt said it seems they have made an effort to fix the problems. Sounds like you guys no longer have a case.[/quote]

No it actually helps our case. Our lawsuit was filed a while ago, and we anticipated a recall being issued by VW. I just was not aware that one had been issued yet. A recall issued today doesn't help all the people who have already suffered losses as a result of these defects.

#13 ·
duke said:
duke said:

Well, from what Matt said it seems they have made an effort to fix the problems. Sounds like you guys no longer have a case.
There was still a class action lawsuit after VW acknowledge the window regulator problem. We got a reimbursement for a window regulator that failed on my mom's car, and then months later got a letter about a lawsuit

And you aren't filing the lawsuit because lots of people are getting screwed... you are doing it so everyone that gets in on it gets like $10 while you walk away with a crap load....

#14 ·
eurotrashed said:
duke said:
duke said:

There was still a class action lawsuit after VW acknowledge the window regulator problem. We got a reimbursement for a window regulator that failed on my mom's car, and then months later got a letter about a lawsuit

And you aren't filing the lawsuit because lots of people are getting screwed... you are doing it so everyone that gets in on it gets like $10 while you walk away with a crap load....
I actually first got involved because a friend of mine, now the lead plaintiff, had this happen to her. My initial intention was to help her get back the $2,000+ that she had to spend because VW denied her warranty claim, claiming this was a "maintenance issue." After doing some investigating I found out that this problem was widespread, and this turned into a class action.

As far as my intentions, of course I am hoping to make some money on this lawsuit. But in the process, VW will also be held accountable.

#15 ·
This has happened to me in my Passat a few years ago, it hasn't since nor did I report it since i knew it was a known problem. I try to replace the pollen filter as much as a can and it seems to do the trick. Keep us posted on what happens regardless.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering Matt contacted me first to see if this was ok to post, I allowed it because I have seen this first hand.

#17 ·
db said:
This has happened to me in my Passat a few years ago, it hasn't since nor did I report it since i knew it was a known problem. I try to replace the pollen filter as much as a can and it seems to do the trick. Keep us posted on what happens regardless.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering Matt contacted me first to see if this was ok to post, I allowed it because I have seen this first hand.
Yea, you have to watch b/c changing your pollen filter wont do a thing for it. What happens is the two rubber drains at the bottom of the cowl under the battery gets clogged up then if the seal under the pollen filter carrier isnt sealed with the update sealer, the water runs down into the heater box, then under the carpet. I would take it to your dealer to get it done, its free. Or knock out the rubber drains at the bottom of the cowl if you dont want to take it in. The one is under the battery, that one you can just punch a half inch hole through and the other you can see through the passenger side wheel well, right above the steering rack. A coat hanger works well for yanking it out.

And cut the nipple off both sunroof drains (water will probally pour out), both in the front door jam near the hinges, and the rears I think are under each corner of the rear valence.

That should get you trouble free :)

#18 ·
Just to let you know my opinion/where I stand:

As a good-thinking conservative, I will never agree to be part of a class action lawsuit. Typically, whatever reward is gained is split 50/50 between the millions of participants and the handful of lawyers. Class action lawsuits are the single most destructive and frivoulous part of our legal system, and allow companies to be held hostage for things that they have already made an effort to correct.

The regulators is a perfect example. VWOA issued a recall, and if you had spent your own money to fix the part, they would reimburse you. But a lawyer got ahold of it AFTER that was settled, and filed a class action, which netted him MILLIONS of dollars, and gave the participants the ability to get exactly what the recall already provided.

If you guys get involved in this, that is fine, but I just have to say what I feel about it. I think Tort reform should be a critical issue in the upcoming elections, but for some reason nobody is talking about it.

#20 ·
fli gti said:
Just to let you know my opinion/where I stand:

As a good-thinking conservative, I will never agree to be part of a class action lawsuit. Typically, whatever reward is gained is split 50/50 between the millions of participants and the handful of lawyers. Class action lawsuits are the single most destructive and frivoulous part of our legal system, and allow companies to be held hostage for things that they have already made an effort to correct.

The regulators is a perfect example. VWOA issued a recall, and if you had spent your own money to fix the part, they would reimburse you. But a lawyer got ahold of it AFTER that was settled, and filed a class action, which netted him MILLIONS of dollars, and gave the participants the ability to get exactly what the recall already provided.

If you guys get involved in this, that is fine, but I just have to say what I feel about it. I think Tort reform should be a critical issue in the upcoming elections, but for some reason nobody is talking about it.
I am not here to get into a debate about tort reform, but I just want to address a couple of misconceptions in your post. First, without the ability to file class actions, companies would have free reign to take advantage of millions of consumers (on a small scale to each consumer)without recourse because it would be cost-prohibitive for individual consumers to bring their claims. What attorney or consumer is going to spend thousands of dollars to try to remedy a wrong that is worth less then a $100? By joining together -- economies of scale if you will -- consumers make sure that companies who take advanatge of them are held accountable.

Second, I won't argue that some people take advantage of the class action process, and I can't speak for what happened with the window regulators. But again, what I want to stress is that this lawsuit was brought because of the people who have paid thousands of dollars to have their TCM's, carpets and harnesses replaced, when their warranty claims were improperly denied. VW has NOT offered to reimburse these people. Although it appears that once this lawsuit was filed, VW decided to do the right thing and fix the affected vehicles, this newfound graciousness on behalf of VW doesn't help my friend and others who have already spent the money.

Third, nobody has to "get involved." I am not here to sign up the masses. By definition, any owner or lessee of the affected vehicles is part of the "Class." So it is not a matter of the more people who sign up, the better it is for the lawsuit. I am here to see if there are any people with particularly compelling cases who have had this happen to them and would like to become one of the "faces" of this lawsuit.

Matt

#21 ·
twenty4valve said:
db said:

Yea, you have to watch b/c changing your pollen filter wont do a thing for it. What happens is the two rubber drains at the bottom of the cowl under the battery gets clogged up then if the seal under the pollen filter carrier isnt sealed with the update sealer, the water runs down into the heater box, then under the carpet. I would take it to your dealer to get it done, its free. Or knock out the rubber drains at the bottom of the cowl if you dont want to take it in. The one is under the battery, that one you can just punch a half inch hole through and the other you can see through the passenger side wheel well, right above the steering rack. A coat hanger works well for yanking it out.

And cut the nipple off both sunroof drains (water will probally pour out), both in the front door jam near the hinges, and the rears I think are under each corner of the rear valence.

That should get you trouble free :)
good to know! thanks matt :K:

#25 ·
Screw VG and their appalling "service"

Let me just put in my 2 cents. My 2004 Passat flooded last year, spent 2 months at the dealership being rewired ( covered by warranty) and has been nothing short of a nightmare since we got it back. We were without a car while it was being worked on ( try being without your car for 2 months when you have a young child) and since then, it has been back at the dealership 4 times with engine/ electrical problem. The car continuously cuts out while being driven. The first time this happened it was under warranty but VW couldn't locate a problem. Second time, we had to pay for repairs. Fourth time we were out of state and had to have it towed to the nearest VW dealership IN THE NEXT State! We couldn't even get a rental cos it was a holiday weekend and no rentals were available.
VW continues to deny responsibility!
Its about time they were held accountable.
whats my resale value going to be like. Would you want to buy my car considering its history? I didn't think so!
I have no problem sticking it to them via class action suit

#32 ·
Let me just put in my 2 cents. My 2004 Passat flooded last year, spent 2 months at the dealership being rewired ( covered by warranty) and has been nothing short of a nightmare since we got it back. We were without a car while it was being worked on ( try being without your car for 2 months when you have a young child) and since then, it has been back at the dealership 4 times with engine/ electrical problem. The car continuously cuts out while being driven. The first time this happened it was under warranty but VW couldn't locate a problem. Second time, we had to pay for repairs. Fourth time we were out of state and had to have it towed to the nearest VW dealership IN THE NEXT State! We couldn't even get a rental cos it was a holiday weekend and no rentals were available.
VW continues to deny responsibility!
Its about time they were held accountable.
whats my resale value going to be like. Would you want to buy my car considering its history? I didn't think so!
I have no problem sticking it to them via class action suit
hey did you ever figure out why it was doing that

#27 ·
Wow

I can't believe I just found this page. I googled "VW lawsuit" and here I am. Here's the quick story...08/19/08 (the morning of TS Fay here in South Fla) I woke up to a flooded 2004 GTi. 2" of standing water in the driver's side front and rear. It's leaking from the A pillar area down into the dash, behind the fuse box. Everything is soaked, it's a nightmare. I got my insurance company involved b/c I made a claim back in '05 for the windshield and I'm hoping faulty installation by VW will be the cause. (however, after reading my hopes are dwindling...) My warranty expired in May of this year, and I've more or less paid the entire value of the car in repairs in the past year. I just spent $2k replacing the transmission last month...for the third time...since last June. :chainsaw:

Note: I had this problem in the rear of the car last year, and the "trunk" carpeting and headliner were replaced. If I find out that the front drains are the culprit and that I'm going to be responsible for another several thousands of dollars of repairs just for buying a VW, I'm going to flip out. Really. I've had enough. Somebody please tell me there's hope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.