How do I disable the theft alarm??? - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > General Volkswagen Discussion

General Volkswagen Discussion This discussion area is for any general discussions related specifically to Volkswagen.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Points: 3,621, Level: 37 Points: 3,621, Level: 37 Points: 3,621, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default How do I disable the theft alarm???

Bought a 2000 Cabrio for my wife. The factory anti-theft alarm goes off somewhere between 10 min and 2 hours after the car is locked and not tampered with by anybody. I would much rather just not have the alarm. My friendly used car guy doesn't know what to do. Is there a sensitiviy control somewhere? I heard that there are closed-circuit pins that close when the doors, hatches, hood are closed..could those contacts be dirty? Can I clean them. Is there a dealer out there that can help? None of the people from Knoxville to Atlanta have an idea of what to do. I should be able to not have an anti-theft alarm system if I don't want it..Can a dealer re-program it to be off by default?

The used car dude gave me a temprary "fix" Lock the car doors with the key. When the LED starts blinking by the locks on the door..turn the key slightly to the "left" until the blinking stops and the alarm system will be disabled..This works, but after several minutes the electric door locks unlock by themselves..Not much help really..Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2003, 03:09 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 16,933, Level: 83 Points: 16,933, Level: 83 Points: 16,933, Level: 83

I think that if any of the contacts would be dirty or not working 100% the alarm would go off within the first 2 minutes of locking your car. Unless there is a problem in the circuit itself and it is intermittent. Will ask around see what happens.

Also,

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]
Old 07-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 24,895, Level: 95 Points: 24,895, Level: 95 Points: 24,895, Level: 95

Send a message via AIM to Straz85

WELCOME TO VWF!
Old 07-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Points: 4,954, Level: 45 Points: 4,954, Level: 45 Points: 4,954, Level: 45

I had a 95 jetta that had an alarm problem. If you used the windows (electric windows) it would arm the alarm which would then go off when you got out of the car. The dealership was no help at all. I had a friend, someone that knows alarms and electronics like no other look at it. We disconnected the factory alarm from the car. I put in an aftermarket alarm after that. My be something you want to look into. I think we did have to reconnect the starter wire after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > General Volkswagen Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.