VW Forum banner

How do I disable the theft alarm???

14K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  87cabriolet 
#1 ·
Bought a 2000 Cabrio for my wife. The factory anti-theft alarm goes off somewhere between 10 min and 2 hours after the car is locked and not tampered with by anybody. I would much rather just not have the alarm. My friendly used car guy doesn't know what to do. Is there a sensitiviy control somewhere? I heard that there are closed-circuit pins that close when the doors, hatches, hood are closed..could those contacts be dirty? Can I clean them. Is there a dealer out there that can help? None of the people from Knoxville to Atlanta have an idea of what to do. I should be able to not have an anti-theft alarm system if I don't want it..Can a dealer re-program it to be off by default?

The used car dude gave me a temprary "fix" Lock the car doors with the key. When the LED starts blinking by the locks on the door..turn the key slightly to the "left" until the blinking stops and the alarm system will be disabled..This works, but after several minutes the electric door locks unlock by themselves..Not much help really..Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I think that if any of the contacts would be dirty or not working 100% the alarm would go off within the first 2 minutes of locking your car. Unless there is a problem in the circuit itself and it is intermittent. Will ask around see what happens.

Also,

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

#4 ·
I had a 95 jetta that had an alarm problem. If you used the windows (electric windows) it would arm the alarm which would then go off when you got out of the car. The dealership was no help at all. I had a friend, someone that knows alarms and electronics like no other look at it. We disconnected the factory alarm from the car. I put in an aftermarket alarm after that. My be something you want to look into. I think we did have to reconnect the starter wire after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.