VW Forum banner

Recall

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  shedpress 
#1 ·
I dont know if this came up yet but I got a letter from VW saying theres a problem or something (dont have it here in front of me) about the dash instruments, when i go home i will read it sum more :? but Carson might know something.

#2 ·
Volkswagen of America, Inc.

November 2004

Subject:
Emission Service Action VS
2000 Model Year Volkswagen Golf/Jetta VR6,
Jetta/GTI 1.8T, and Golf 1.9L TDI Vehicles
Reprogram Instrument Cluster Switching Relay Software

Dear Volkswagen Owner:

We are writing to inform you of an emission service action on some 2000 model year Volkswagen Golf/Jetta VR6, Jetta/GTI 1.8T, and Golf 1.9L TDI vehicles.

What Is The Problem?
Volkswagen has found that the instrument cluster switching relay software in the affected vehicles may require reprogramming (reflashing). A random data communication problem may exist in certain vehicles. If this occurs, it could cause communication with the diagnostic scan tool to be interrupted.

What Will Volkswagen Do?
In order to correct this condition, we will electronically update the instrument cluster switching relay software.

What We Would Like You To Do
Please contact your authorized Volkswagen dealer and arrange for an appointment so that this work can be performed without delay. This service will take about one half hour and will be free of charge.

Lease Vehicles
If you are the lessor and registered owner of the vehicle identified in this action, please forward this information immediately via first-class mail to the lessee within ten (10) days of reciept of this notification.

Have You Changed Your Address Or Sold The Vehicle?
If you have, please fill out the enclosed prepaid Owner Reply card and mail it to us so we can update our records.

Service Help from Us
If your authorized Volkswagen dealer fails or is unable to complete this work free of charge within a reasonable time, please call or write to:

Volkswagen of America, Inc.
Attn: Customer CARE Center - Hills East (VS)
3499 West Hamlin Road
Rochester Hills, MI 48309
1-800-893-5298

We regret any inconvenience this matter may cause. Thank you for driving a Volkswagen!

Sincerely,

Maria Cotter
Product Compliance
Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#7 ·
B5 TURBO said:
I got a recall letter the other day 98-00 Passats, Lower control Arms.
:( :(
Oh that sounds real safe :roll:

#8 ·
GTIVR62801 said:
It has nothing to do with the ECU, it actually reprograms the instrument cluster.
Oh, because when I told the lady at montesi yesterday that it was chipped, she said not to get it done. But I trust your opinion more than hers, so it's ok to do it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.