1978 VW Rabbit "C" 2dr Auto 49,000 - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK1

MK1 Discussion area for the first generation VW Golf (Rabbit) and Jetta produced from 1975 to 1984 including Cabriolet and pickup models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Points: 275, Level: 5 Points: 275, Level: 5 Points: 275, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default 1978 VW Rabbit "C" 2dr Auto 49,000

Ok, new here, from Wisconsin. Just found a 1978? VW Rabbit "C", 2 door , moonroof, and auto. It has 49,000 original miles and was old lady driven. Looks absolutely wonderful and is ?Silk Green. Looking to buy this for my wife as a daily driver.

A. Is it worth 3000?
What kind of life should i expect?(wife drives like an old lady too)
What are things i should be concerned with mechanically?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and i will be scouring older posts as well. So any that you recommend, just point me in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Points: 1,521, Level: 22 Points: 1,521, Level: 22 Points: 1,521, Level: 22

Send a message via AIM to CarPartsDiscount.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS4EVER View Post
Ok, new here, from Wisconsin. Just found a 1978? VW Rabbit "C", 2 door , moonroof, and auto. It has 49,000 original miles and was old lady driven. Looks absolutely wonderful and is ?Silk Green. Looking to buy this for my wife as a daily driver.

A. Is it worth 3000?
What kind of life should i expect?(wife drives like an old lady too)
What are things i should be concerned with mechanically?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and i will be scouring older posts as well. So any that you recommend, just point me in the right direction.
Not sure if you have decided on the car or not, but as far as what it's worth, you can go to KBB.COM and input the vehicle info and you will get an idea of what the value on a vehicle like that is.
Life expectancy is all relevant to past and future driving conditions, maintenence etc. IMO it sounds like it hasn't been abused and probably maintained on a regular basis.
Regarding mechanical concerns, I have not owned one myself but you will likely find info on the forum from people who own this vehicle and can give you some insight.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Rusty MK2/MK3 Pimp
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 10,687, Level: 68 Points: 10,687, Level: 68 Points: 10,687, Level: 68
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

It is worth around that, but it depends on condition completely. They are very reliable and nice to drive so if it is MINT then go for it.

Nadeem
Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1

What you have to look at is, is the gain worth the money? can you put a price-per-hp received? If so, is it really worth it? Welcome to the money pitt!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Points: 1,633, Level: 23 Points: 1,633, Level: 23 Points: 1,633, Level: 23

thing to look for on the car is rubber parts like beltd and bushings. thell most likely be cracked with a car that old. then there is most likely sluge in the engine. since a old lady had it with that little miles she most likely never got the engine hot when she drove it so do and oil change every month for a few months to loosen that sluge up. also check the valve cover area to see if oil is leaking out of there . they used cork gaskets that crack with time and leak. basicly just change all the fluids in the car ,brake, oil, trans, what ever. but i think if it dose really have only 49k on it the car is a grate buy and you should put the time and effert in to it and enjoy it as long as the car is not a rot box
Old 06-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

While it is low mileage it is old. Like stated once you start working it problems may arise. Windshield gaskets leak on the models and raise havoc with the fuse box. The automatic had weak final drives which leaked thier gear oil into the transaxle and the final drive goes south. If it is very nice, everything works perfect, had to have an A-1 automatic and it would be an in town car I might consider it. Now if your just going keep it in a garage as a collectible I'd check around to see what they are selling for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.