VW Forum banner

DPF introduction?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  imetrix3 
#1 ·
When did VW first put DPF filters into the Polo TDI engine?

Having had previous problems with a Peugeot 1.6 TDI, 2006 plate I'm a bit wary.

In general do owners think the DPF filter causes problems, or OK if you do longer, higher speed journeys.

#2 · (Edited)
First post, so please be gentle.

Absolutely the worst decision I ever made was to buy (on private lease) a new 1.4TDi Polo (which was quickly removed from sale) in 2009. No one explained to me at point of sale that the DPF is only recommended for long journeys, NOT for short ones.

I lost count of the amount of times the car went into 'limp mode' ie; max of 18 mph. I also gained a lot of stress, lost fuel and therefore money in having to give it a blast for 30 mins every week at 55mph/4000 revs to get the DPF to discharge and the dashboard warning light to turn off.

No one at VW would take ownership of the fault so my advice would be not to even go and get a VW with a DPF.

For the record, I have since had a Smart Car, and only yesterday, after a lot of research, I swapped the Smart Car and took delivery of a new VW UP! Hi UP! 999cc 3 cyl petrol which is awesome. £134 a month. Insurance is £15 per month.

AVOID THE DPF!! Best Wishes, Moo.

PS - in 2006 I had a brand new Polo 1.6TDi WITHOUT a DPF and that was a 'pocket rocket' - I loved it. Why they changed it in 2009, I have no idea!!

#3 ·
Node

The GTI is the car that invented the hot-hatch segment back in 1983, and since the new model remains true to its plaid-cloth-upholstered roots, we bestow upon it a 10Best award. It comes in three- and five-door hatchback versions; the base engine is a 210-hp 2.0-liter direct-injected turbo four. VW’s six-speed automatic is optional, as is a Performance package that nets an extra 10 hp,

#4 ·
My VW

Loaded up as it was with all the bells and whistles (save for the $995 Lighting package and the $695 Driver Assistance package), our test car weighed about 110 pounds more than our newly arrived long-termer. Still, the DSG proved to be a half-second quicker to 60 mph, at 5.6 seconds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.