Car stalls when braking - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK2

MK2 Discussion area for the second generation VW Golf and Jetta produced from 1985 to 1992.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Car stalls when braking

Hi,

I have a VW Golf GTI 8v 1990/H (engine code PB) with the Digifant Fuel Injection system.

When slowing the car down, the battery light flashes or stays on and the car stalls. I can start the car instantly after this, several times. I try to blip the throttle to prevent it from stalling. When the car is driven at normal speeds, there are no problems.

Recently, the car had to have its mixture adjusted in order to have its MOT pass. I don't know if this has had an impact as it seems to have run ok since then.

I took the battery out and put it on the charger and the 'full' light came on straight away. I wasn't expecting this as if I constantly have to re-start the engine when it stalls, I would expect the battery to be fairy depleted especially if the journeys are short i.e. not enough time to re-charge the battery. The voltage across the terminals is 12.97v.

What I find is that the when I blip the throttle, as the revs drop, it feels as if it wants to stall but then recovers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Chances are it was not set up for emissions per the procedures in the Bentley manual. Now the ECM is confused and won't control decel idle. Most non VW shops and some VW shops don't have a clue that the Bentley manual is the first tool needed to work on any VW. If it did not pass HC and CO emissions set up to factory specs, then one of the basics is bad. As far as emissions VW had a great fuel system back then the cat was only need to pass the NOX test for state tests. The federal test required the cat for all three as it was 2-4 times more stringent than any state test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.