1999 Jetta, random stalling, any ideas? - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default 1999 Jetta, random stalling, any ideas?

Hello! Let me start of by saying I don't have a lot of knowledge about cars but am looking for any help. I have a 1999 Jetta that I would like to have last a bit longer. It has 92,000 miles and seems to always have something wrong. Here is the latest... it randomly stalls. There is no conistency to it. It can go for a couple of weeks and run just fine, then out of nowhere stalls. The last two times I was idling, once to pull out of a parking lot, the other time just sitting in the parking lot. This last time I noticed it felt a little "rough" just before it did it. But it does nothing else, just stops as if you turned off the engine.

I get no check engine lights, nothing. After it stalls, it takes a couple of tries but then it starts and is fine. I have taken it to a VW expert mechanic who has no ideas, says there aren't any error codes. The only current thing I do know is wrong with the car is that they said my booster tubes (is that right?) are cracked. That was discovered on visual inspection, not through any error codes.

I know this is like finding a needle in a haystack, but does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31

many people come here with idling issues...many of which come down to either a dirty MAF or an ignition coil....

One thing you can do and which is easiest is to look at the ignition coil...it on the drivers side on the firewall right at the top....pull that off and check for cracks or any moisture in the coil...if it is cracked then replace it...another thing to look at is the ground connections on the coil for corrosion...i had idling issues as well so i looked at my coil and it was fine..but i went to put it back on and my ground wire was corroded, so i just cleaned it up with a knife and some baking soda and water solution and it cleared up and it runs perfectly...

if this does not work then try cleaning your MAF...but usually the coil is many peoples problems around here as they are very common...

and the booster tubes?!?!?!?!? never take your vw to a dealer to repair because unless your car is throwing codes they will do crap all about it...they dont want to do any other troubleshooting at all...its easier for them to attach a computer and check it...not like the old fasioned way of actually inspecting parts...

Now have a 2009 Dodge ram 2500 (but thats not stopping me from being here...seeing as how i did own a VW for a while!)
-Only because i live in alberta and we are truck guys out here!

Stereo Setup Sold with Jetta- However install in truck is starting to get into motion.
Plans
-ALL JL AUDIO, 2-12W3 subs, 1500W TMA Monoblock, 400W TMA fourchannel, 2 Sets of components, with Double din touchscreen and GPS ALL CUSTOM
Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

Default thank you

I appreciate your feedback....thank you! Would the things you mention just cause idling problems or the stalling too? I know the MAF can cause a lot of problems and that is something I was thinking about.

Now, the booster tubes... do you question that they need to be replaced?
I did not take it to a dealer, I know better than that I took it to an independant mechanic who is well known in the VW community here and only works on VW's and Audis. I guess what the mechanic is saying, is because they can't reproduce the stalling... they don't know where to start and they don't want me to spend money but just replacing things on a "it might be this" basis. In all honesty, I don't know what booster tubes are... even "car" people I know aren't sure....
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31

if they are bad enough then yes it will cause stalling...because once the motor does not have enough spark fuel or air it will stall...pretty simple really....and yes it could be something as simple as a dirty MAF or a bad ignition coil...

as far as the booster tubes go i was questioning why the mechanic thought that? cause me too i dont know what they are i think he was just thinking of nothing better to say....

Now have a 2009 Dodge ram 2500 (but thats not stopping me from being here...seeing as how i did own a VW for a while!)
-Only because i live in alberta and we are truck guys out here!

Stereo Setup Sold with Jetta- However install in truck is starting to get into motion.
Plans
-ALL JL AUDIO, 2-12W3 subs, 1500W TMA Monoblock, 400W TMA fourchannel, 2 Sets of components, with Double din touchscreen and GPS ALL CUSTOM
Old 02-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42

Check the O2 sensor. My old Jeep would stall after starting unless I kept the RPMs up, had that replaced and it fixed it.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4

the mech was probably refering to the rather large hose coming out of the side of the intake manifold. these hoses or vacuum lines are often refered to as booster hoses because of the large amount of vacuum on them... id say if there was a crack or hole in that hose it could cause some problems but im having the same problem with my 95 2.0 and im leaning more toward maf. ive cleaned it and ive looked at the ignition coil but it looks good and dry. still having the same issue...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.