90% sure it's the throttle position sensor... - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Points: 1,980, Level: 26 Points: 1,980, Level: 26 Points: 1,980, Level: 26
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Send a message via AIM to kupo365 Send a message via Yahoo to kupo365
Default 90% sure it's the throttle position sensor...

I have a 94 Golf, I bought it 2 years ago, in horrible condition (and paid way more than I should have but I digress.) We rebuilt the engine, also installed headers, new fuel injectors, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap, fuel pump, o2 sensor, and probably more.
Also it had an awful time idling, it wouldn't at all. So eventually I figured out to plug the hose that goes back to the IAC, and plug and disconnect the IAC, and now it idles fine, after figuring out they took out the unit entirely in future models anyways.

SO the only problem it seems to have now is whenever I have the pedal pushed between like 0% and 40% depressed (0% = Not depressed, 100% = to the floor) it starts missing like crazy, and it's not very responsive when I punch it. If I push the pedal past that all the way to flooring, it runs very smoothly, and this is regardless of what RPM, gear, or speed it's running.

So I'm thinking it's the Throttle positioning sensor, I'm going to clean it tomorrow (I need the tool to remove rusted stripped screws) and I'll see how it goes.

What are your ideas on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Points: 3,413, Level: 36 Points: 3,413, Level: 36 Points: 3,413, Level: 36
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Send a message via AIM to Bum Status

yep, throttle is junk..my 96 golf did the same...replace it, and you should be good
92 Jetta - sold
98 Passat - sold
96 Jetta - sold
98 Jetta - partout

I vw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTurbo1.8T View Post
VW and Audi are a lot like a really hot girlfriend...looks great, amazing in bed, but every once in awhile you gotta throw some money down on the table so she sticks around.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupo365 View Post
I have a 94 Golf, I bought it 2 years ago, in horrible condition (and paid way more than I should have but I digress.) We rebuilt the engine, also installed headers, new fuel injectors, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap, fuel pump, o2 sensor, and probably more.
Also it had an awful time idling, it wouldn't at all. So eventually I figured out to plug the hose that goes back to the IAC, and plug and disconnect the IAC, and now it idles fine, after figuring out they took out the unit entirely in future models anyways.

SO the only problem it seems to have now is whenever I have the pedal pushed between like 0% and 40% depressed (0% = Not depressed, 100% = to the floor) it starts missing like crazy, and it's not very responsive when I punch it. If I push the pedal past that all the way to flooring, it runs very smoothly, and this is regardless of what RPM, gear, or speed it's running.

So I'm thinking it's the Throttle positioning sensor, I'm going to clean it tomorrow (I need the tool to remove rusted stripped screws) and I'll see how it goes.

What are your ideas on it?
You cant clean the TPS, when you pull it out you will see why. There is nothing to clean. It doesnt come into contact with all the gunk.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
You cant clean the TPS, when you pull it out you will see why. There is nothing to clean. It doesnt come into contact with all the gunk.
Yeah, I found that out, haha, but I found one on ebay for $28, so it'll be here in a couple of days, we'll see how that goes.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

while your at it i would change the temp coolant sensor as well coz the failure of this gives the same symptoms as ur describing
Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf ginga geek View Post
while your at it i would change the temp coolant sensor as well coz the failure of this gives the same symptoms as ur describing
The thermostat? or is that something else
Old 03-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75

They are 2 seperate things. Look at the sticky on the top of MK3 forum to find your coolant temperature sensor. Your thermostat is near bottom of engine mounted on water pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.