96 Jetta GL 2.0 - CEL - Cylinder Misfire - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Points: 1,468, Level: 21 Points: 1,468, Level: 21 Points: 1,468, Level: 21
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default 96 Jetta GL 2.0 - CEL - Cylinder Misfire

My 96 Jetta GL runs like crap, especially when it's cold. It gets about 17mpg and the CEL comes on after driving it a short distance.

If I drive it for a while, then clear the engine codes, the codes don't usually come back until I park it again long enough for it to cool down and then drive it again.

It has new plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotary button, PCV valve and hoses, Catalytic Converter, MAF sensor and Temperature sensor. AND brand new Ignition Coil
I've also cleaned the throttle body (which got rid of one engine code)

Now I am left with 2 frequent engine codes and one intermittent engine code
The two frequent ones say Cylinder 1 misfire and Random Cylinder misfire.
The other one has something to do with the O2 sensor not reading anything, but it only throws this code once every long while.

What could be the root cause of my troubles?
Could it have jumped time? How difficult is it to change the timing belt in one of these?

Last edited by jiveabillion; 05-29-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added new ignition coil to list of new parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Youi need to find out why #1 is misfiring. Compresion, worn cam, weak valve spring, defective injector, etc. Chances are all that unburned fuel is driving the O-2 sensor crazy.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

When the random misfire comes on its either the ignition coil or camshaft position sensor. The cylinder #1 misfire and random misfire are most likely connected problems.

Last edited by mcrow; 05-29-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrib View Post
Youi need to find out why #1 is misfiring. Compresion, worn cam, weak valve spring, defective injector, etc. Chances are all that unburned fuel is driving the O-2 sensor crazy.
When I first got this car, it was in terrible shape. Your suggestion reminds one of one thing that was wrong in particular.

The wires going to cylinder 1 fuel injector were sparking out on the intake manifold. I put some electrical tape on it as it was one of a slew of problems I had to fix just to get it running. I have a whole fuel rail I got off a junker complete with all 4 injectors. I could try swapping it with those to see if it improves anything. I will also inspect the wires to see if there is anything I can do to improve the situation. Is the wiring harness for the injectors part of the whole electrical harness? Where can I get a new one?

Last edited by jiveabillion; 05-29-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
When the random misfire comes on its either the ignition coil or camshaft position sensor. The cylinder #1 misfire and random misfire are most likely connected problems.
I forgot to mention it also has a brand new ignition coil. It runs exactly the same as it did before I replaced the old one ( I was very disappointed).
Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Well that is important information to know haha. Well i would start by repairing those wires the right way, electrical tape isnt water tight or anything like that just temperary.

I would cut the bad part of the wire, strip the insulation till you have nice clean wires, twist them together, solder them, and then heat shrink insulate them. If you dont have a soldering tool you can just twist them together and crimp it.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Default Status Update

I replaced the #1 Cylinder injector today and the CEL light has stayed off since. It seems to run smoother too. It still doesn't run as well as I think it should. I haven't been in any other 96 Jettas, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Hopefully, I will at least get better gas mileage now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.