97 jetta oil light going on at random.. - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default 97 jetta oil light going on at random..

my 1997 jetta vr6 is acting up again. the oil light(and buzzer) just recently started going off at random moments. most notably when i am driving up canyon it will go on around the same two sharp turns and go off after a following turn in the opposite direction. it will also go off often when i drive for about 10 minutes shut off the car to go into 7-11 and then start it back up. the warning will turn off if i stop and restart the car. sometimes it was turn on for just a few seconds at a time then shut off. currently running 5w-40 full synthetic.

over the summer i had the front end off to replace some coolant hoses, to get to one of the hoses i disconnected the high and low pressure oil wires. the warning never went off before this but, it didn't go off until about 5 months after.

any bright ideas????

thanks

jersey brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1

I wouldn't worry too much about 5w-40 being to heavy. I would look for a loose wire or broken/dirty connector. Corrosion would will change resistance with temperature. Also your quick stop at the 7-11 issue could be temp related as well. The wire and the sensor heat up together while running. You shut it down and one begins to cool faster than other allowing it to become disconnected (space develops between the terminal and the connector). What is happening is that once you start it things begin heat up again. You Stop the engine and restart it the wire creates and arc due to capacitance left in the wire and TA DA the connector temporarily arc welds itself back together.

I would start with checking the connectors for corrosion. Autozone and Advance Auto Parts sell an electrical contact cleaner. Use this allong with a mild abrasive (I.E small wire brush or steel wool) to clean the contacts and terminals then pack them with dielectric grease. Try that out. If that doesn't fix it. Ohm the wires and check for voltages coming in and out of the connector. If all that checks out. It could be a sensor going bad. Good luck with it.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1

wow thanks for the detailed info hommie! a+!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Points: 847, Level: 15 Points: 847, Level: 15 Points: 847, Level: 15
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Would an old oil filter be a cause for this to happen? Or is it more likely a switch is bad? All my connections are clean and good, but the buzzer goes off warning me of low oil pressure. Thanks in advance. Mine is a 1994 Jetta GL3 2.0L 5 spd.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Points: 6,529, Level: 52 Points: 6,529, Level: 52 Points: 6,529, Level: 52
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

replace the oil pressure switch - its a cheap part and they can be built cheap too - the only time ive been left on the side of the road is when the original oil pressure switch blew and spewed oil all over the underneath/back of my car on the highway (around 170k miles) i bought a new one from the closest parts store and put it in and drove away - a few days later my light went off and there was a tiny bit of oil seeping from the top of the switch so i had to get another one which is still fine today (about 212k miles) this is cheap/easy to do yourself and a good base to cover
Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 PM

Replaced the Oil Pressure switches and that did the trick. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunca123 View Post
Replaced the Oil Pressure switches and that did the trick. Thanks.
Well it is back and it is annoying as ever. It goes off more often and at random anytime any speed, Idle at a light or at 3 grand cruising on the freeway... I'm stuck between a rock and a 1994 jetta 2.0 L 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.