VW Forum banner

97 trek issue

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Musicmaaster 
#1 ·
ok, so i have a buddy that has a 97 trek, he called me trying to figure out what was wrong and why his car wont start, i played with it a little, right off the bat i noticed that the ignition wont turn all the way, its always locked as if he already started the car once, i know that the ignition switch is bad, to rule out other problems i turned the key on and bridged the starter, it started for a second..... then died right away, checked for spark and its getting spark, got some starting fluid and tried a direct shot into intake, fired right up, again only until the spray was gone, is it possible that the ignition switch is not letting the computer reset the fuel delivery or is the ignition switch AND the fuel pump suddenly bad? all fuses and relays are in good working order.

#2 ·
no i would just replace the switch...theres more than just the starter on it...think about it that switch controls everything that you would not want on unless the key is turned on...the computer being one of them

#4 ·
i have not done it myself but there is some work to do for sure...if you hang around maybe someone will be around to tell you a little more on the procedures....all i know is you have to remove the steering wheel for sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.