Axle and CV joint replacement - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Points: 1,607, Level: 23 Points: 1,607, Level: 23 Points: 1,607, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Axle and CV joint replacement

As Iíve never done this before, I would like to know if I am getting my self in over my head.

I have a 1998 VW golf 2.0, and the passenger side axle broke somewhere inside the CV joint boot. I am thinking of replacing the axel assembly on my own and am wondering if I need any special tools, and how self explanatory the process actually is.

Would you recommend getting a service book for this?

Thanks in advance

B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Points: 1,886, Level: 25 Points: 1,886, Level: 25 Points: 1,886, Level: 25

Send a message via AIM to JoeCollins2

Just did the same thing last weekend. The only specialty tools you'll need is a 12 point 8mm star bit. The only place I found that had them was NAPA. Tried AutoZone, all that shit. The guy there couldn't find it so I had to tell him it's a serrated wrench then he found it in the book. It's like an $8 little bit. Just stick it in a socket and you're good to go.

It's all pretty easy to do. The only important thing is to make sure you get that bit into the bolts STRAIGHT!!! Use brake cleaner or something to clean the heads out and then use a hammer to tap the bit in. The bolts/wrench strip real easy!!!!!

The easiest way to do it is to take off the wheel, take off the caliper, undo the hub from the strut and put it aside. Then use some extensions to get to the bolts cause it's way too har to get to them straight from underneath. It would be best to have someone help you because you need to go from neutral to gear and so on so you can turn the axle to get to the bolts that go around it. There's a total of six.

Undo all the bolts, pull the axle out, scrap all the old grease off from where it bolts to the trans, clean it real good, and put the new grease in. Make sure you don't get any where to gasket goes so it seals real well. Then set the new axle to put the screws in. It's best to have someone hold the "hub end" while you put the screws in. Hand tighten them. Then put it in gear, tighten snug (I think they only need to be like 40 or 50 lb/ft) put in neutral, turn to next set, put in gear, tighten those, repeat till all six are in.

Then reassemble.

Oh I forgot, AutoZone has a rent a tool or buy a 30mm socket for the bolt on the axle where it goes into the hub. You'll need to break it loose while the wheels still on and it's sitting on the ground. It's tighten (and needs to be retightened) to 200 lb/ft so it's a bitch. Then when you get it all back together tighten that bolt hard as you can. A torque wrench would be best but I did everything short of standing on my socket wrench while putting it on and it's good. If you're remotly strong you can tighten it enough.

That may sound like a lot but it's an easy job. MUCH easier if you have a friend to help you. It's an obvious job of what needs to be unbolted and such pretty much. It took me and my buddy like 4 hours to do mine but we took a lot of beer/cigarette/bullshit/phone/and a dinner break. Most people say it takes them about an hour and a half. Don't think I forgot anything.... Good luck!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Points: 9,234, Level: 64 Points: 9,234, Level: 64 Points: 9,234, Level: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollins2
Oh I forgot, AutoZone has a rent a tool or buy a 30mm socket for the bolt on the axle where it goes into the hub. You'll need to break it loose while the wheels still on and it's sitting on the ground. It's tighten (and needs to be retightened) to 200 lb/ft so it's a bitch. Then when you get it all back together tighten that bolt hard as you can. A torque wrench would be best but I did everything short of standing on my socket wrench while putting it on and it's good. If you're remotly strong you can tighten it enough.

These are sometimes impossible to remove. The good part is that it's one of the first things to remove so you'll know if there's going to be a problem or not before you get really deep into the removal/installation.
Corrado SLC
Old 07-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1

Question Alignment after half shaft removal?

I realignment needed?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.