VW Forum banner

blinking light?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  TTTurbo1.8T 
#1 ·
there is a blinking light that will come on when it s cold stay on till I shut the engine down it looks like a therometer it comes up right next to the temp gadge. Just wondering what it is and whats its fuction???????????? Thanks Mitch

#2 ·
could be your coolant...check your levels...

#3 ·
Can't be

It only does it when its cold I'm in NC and whe nit dips into low 30's it will come on and blick it will continue to blink the whole time I'm driving I can stop go in a store come out no blinky just wondering if anyone else had the same thing my temp gaudge works fine car run same temp all the time after warm up.

#4 ·
A flashing light means low coolant. When liquid gets warmer it expands, when it's colder it contracts. This means whenyour car is cold it may have too much of a watered down mixture causing the water to get more solid and making the car think there is less coolant then there really is. When it warms up it must just meet up with the amount you need.

If the lights not flashing (or maybe mk III's dont flash if there is low coolant, either way id look) then it means high temp, if your car is cold and doing this replace the coolant temperature sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.