Cluster fail - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Points: 1,010, Level: 17 Points: 1,010, Level: 17 Points: 1,010, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Default Cluster fail

Okay, I'm thinking this is a short in wiring because when the cluster freezes and the LCDs go blank the transmission goes into LIMP MODE.

I know the cluster is working because when I park it, pull the negative battery cable, wait 30 seconds and reattach it, the cluster will dance like my native brothers and I at a smashing powwow. Sometimes, when I'm lucky the cluster goes back to normal. But when I drive 20+ miles at 70+mph, the thing goes dead and I have no idea how hot, how fast, what rpm or how my gas my car has. After pulling two other clusters from my junkyard, same results.

Here's the vid: 96 Jetta GLX gauges fail - YouTube

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Dd_MarkThree; 01-20-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM

Update.

I pulled two instrument clusters from a GLS and a GL, I plugged them into my dash and seemed to work... until I released by E-Brake. When I released the brake, the cluster went dead. I pulled the lever again and it bounced back to life, the tach worked, but the speedo & temp stayed dead. This happened with both the GL and GLS' cluster.

I drive a GLX, are the components that different? If I find a cluster that works, can I drive that around until I can get my GLX's fixed?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Points: 3,167, Level: 34 Points: 3,167, Level: 34 Points: 3,167, Level: 34
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

gls and gl are both 2.0 engines, the glx is vr6. The clusters for both, from my understanding are different/wont work right so you have to get one from a vr6. you said both the clusters you pulled were from gls and gl so they probably wont work. also you got ones form the junkyard, was there any way of telling if they worked or not before you pulled them? because these clusters go alot so finding a good one in a junkyard isnt guaranteed. While i havent done anything from this link and dont know much about it, here is a link to diagnose whats wrong with the cluster. The following is a guide to aid you into finding your issue with your lovely MKIII gauge cluster
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I managed to find a cluster online, bought it and it's enroute. HOWEVER, a guy here in New Mexico said there's a good change I may have fried a portion of my ECU.

If that's so, can I yank one from a 96 PASSAT GLX VR6 with a 5-Speed Standard? If not, is there anyone who's done an Auto-to-Manual swap here that still has theirs?

People are right when they say the Auto's in these cars are garbage. If I had the space, money and TIME, I would totally do a swap.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Points: 3,167, Level: 34 Points: 3,167, Level: 34 Points: 3,167, Level: 34
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

for replacing your ECU you are going to have to look at the numbers on the ecu to make sure they match up i believe. As long as the numbers match up you should be fine. Some one else can chime in here to back this up...mcrow maybe?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax5 View Post
for replacing your ECU you are going to have to look at the numbers on the ecu to make sure they match up i believe. As long as the numbers match up you should be fine. Some one else can chime in here to back this up...mcrow maybe?
You know that's some straight up COMMON SENSE. I'm gonna do that, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Tags
automatic, glx, jetta, mkiii, vr6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.