VW Forum banner

Fillin the auto trans code CLK (out of a 96 2.0 golf auto)

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  85gti4door 
#1 ·
Changed the filter trans filter in the wifes golf. Correct me if im wrong if this is the correct way of filling it. :oops:

Put the car on the lift or on jack stands (level)
Take out the allen bolt (where i drained the fluid from)
Start the car and put it in neutral
Pump 3 Quarts of transfluid up throw the drain hole (vw approved fluid)

Is this the correct way of fillin up these auto's

Ive been hearing diff ways of doin it.Like taking the black plastic tube out with a red top and filling it there.Dont think thats actually the correct way of doin it.

Thanks in advance :D

(Can't wait to 5 speed swap the her new golf)

#2 ·
The correct way is to fill it through the tube with the red cap. But unless you have a VAG-Com, you really can't fill it to the proper level.

You need the VAG-Com to read the trans temp. The temp needs to be under 30*C when you start (but the cooler the better), then you want to have fluid dripping (not a solid stream) from the hole in the pan between 35*C and 45*C. At that point you put the allen bolt back in and torque it.

The red cap will more than likely break when you take it off, so make sure that you have a new one.

#4 ·
filling trans

ok i did everything right to fill this transmission hooked up up to the scanner to watch the temp and everything drained all fluid out,I had it level on the lift and it only wants to accept 1 3/4 quarts then it pours out the level plug.I know you are gonna say are you sure its all drained out yes i am.unless there is something im missing.i took the metal all bolt out drained it and then took plug out drained it with the car off.

any help would be great

#5 ·
Well, the plug in the bottom of the pan isn't really a drain plug. Its really just a plug to check the level. To drain and fill the trans, you need to drop the pan down. Even then it will probably only take about 2 quarts, maybe 3.

If you just pull the plug out, it won't drain very much fluid. Even dropping the pan you won't get all the fluid out. There is fluid trapped in the case, in the clutch packs, and probably at least a quart in the torque converter.

The reason that it is this way is because the trans doesn't really require servicing. VW says that the fluid is a "lifetime fill" as long as there are no leaks.
As the clutches wear, the fluid also wears too. The TCM adapts the shift points, speed and harshness based off of mainline pressure. As the clutches and fluid wears, the TCM increases MLP (mainline pressure) and the trans continues to shift the same the whole way through its life. Now if you have a leak, say a leaky trans pan, when you put the fluid in the MLP will be higher because the trans is adapted to the older, worn fluid.

Now you may be asking yourself why I just went through all of that when you didn't ask about any of it. Well let me tell you. :wink: When you fill the trans and get the correct amount in it, it may feel as if it shifts kinda hard. To solve this you need to drive it to readapt the shift logic. Or the quicker way would be to disconnect the battery and "short" the positive and negative cables together (with the battery DISCONNECTED!!) or perform what we call "battery voodoo". :lol: doing that will erase the shift logic and it will learn the new quicker.

One more thing, how did the fluid look and smell??? Was it burnt? (Really dark and smell really, really bad?) If the fluid condition was bad, then changing the trans fluid might have been in vain. Burnt trans fluid usually (99% of the time) indicates a failing gear box.

Good luck!! :K:

#6 ·
ok well from what you said i did it right.

I did lose fluid from the begining due to bad pan gasket so i put new gasket in it and did everything to spec with scanner and on the lift.I have the correct amount of fluid it it.No it neutrals out in first and slipis goin into 2nd lol wtf is goin on i did the fluid 3 times to make usre it correct

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.