HELP car died while driving and wont start... - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Points: 4,031, Level: 40 Points: 4,031, Level: 40 Points: 4,031, Level: 40
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Default HELP car died while driving and wont start...

Ok first off let me say thanks to anyone that trys to help ahead of time...
Im new to the VW world and world of cars in general as all I have owner since I was a kid were jeeps. And Im in a real bind I hgot laid off and had interviews lined up for this week and next... so I need to try to fix my car asap.

The problem...

I was driving home from picking up my girlfriend and my car died. My lights stayed on and the raido stayed on but the engine died. I coasted to the side of the road and pushed it to a car was were I had to leave it. It wont start back. When I turn the key it seems like the starter is turning over but it just isnt starting. It dont even sputter or anything trying to start. could this be the fuel pump. When I turn the key I cant hear it come on but to be honest I cant remeber is I have ever been able to hear it on.

IM Lost

The other week i was taking my girlfriend to the doctor and my car died a few times but started back so i didnt much of it and keep driving. Also lately its been picky when starting. Like when I start it if I try to take off befour it warms up enough car dies. and by warm up I mean when starting it i might have to hold down the gas so its at 2000 rpms for a minute maby more maby less. Not all the time just some... But now it wont start at all so Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 6,910, Level: 54 Points: 6,910, Level: 54 Points: 6,910, Level: 54
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Hmmm...

Before we can help you, we need to know the year and model VW you are driving.

However, I can tell you a VERY common failure point that would cause symptoms like this are a failed ignition coil. Check the coil for cracks in the plastic housing. If there are ANY (even hairline fractures), then replace the unit.

Also, when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? If you can pull your engine codes that would be of ENORMOUS help too.

Mike (MKIII Emeritus)
2001 BMW R1200c (motorrad)

Previously owned German vehicles:
1996 VW Golf GL
1975 VW Microbus
1981 BMW 528i
1987, 1989, 1990, 1991 BMW 535i
1990 BMW 525i
1998 BMW 328i
1997 BMW 740il

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae"
Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 AM

Its a 1996 Golf GL 2.0 I belive, I have only had it 2 months and have all ready had it in the shop once, im afarid I got a lemon. When my ride gets here im going to replace the coil and rotor button, and go from there....
Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 AM

sorry cant pull codes My lap top died and its stuck at a car wash
Old 02-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Ok So I got a new coil and put it in and it didnt change a thing, at all.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

i may have read your post wrong but i will ask it anyways just for clarifiacation...your motor does turn? it just does not fire? if its not firing then by all means it could be your fuel pump...an easy way to test that is just to pull the gas line off the motor and just try and start the motor...if gas comes out then the pump is fine...then it an electrical problem most likely

Now have a 2009 Dodge ram 2500 (but thats not stopping me from being here...seeing as how i did own a VW for a while!)
-Only because i live in alberta and we are truck guys out here!

Stereo Setup Sold with Jetta- However install in truck is starting to get into motion.
Plans
-ALL JL AUDIO, 2-12W3 subs, 1500W TMA Monoblock, 400W TMA fourchannel, 2 Sets of components, with Double din touchscreen and GPS ALL CUSTOM
Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 PM

thats a good ideal, im at witts end, I was reading that the timing belt may be f-ed up. So ill pull the cover in the am and have a look. Today I covered the coil, the rotor, and the fuse's.

Thanks for the suggestion hopefully I get this fixed soon
Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 PM

o sorry i guess i could answer your question, the starter turns but it dose not offer to start. Not a spit or sputter,... I would have thouht if my fuel pump was going out that when it was dieing it would have at least sputtered once. But It just shut off at once.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31

not nessesarily...you need three different things to start a motor...air, fuel and spark...if you are missing any of these then it will not start...but the fuel is the easiest to see if it working by what i described above...spark is a little bit more difficult because you have to do a test on every single spark plug and make sure there is spark on every single one, and that they are firing in the right order....

because it still starts every now and then i would not suspect a fuel pump...because they either work or don't work....and you are probably getting air but it might be just something to check your air filter that it is clean... i am more so going along the lines of a spark problem...but to test that you can just remove one of the spark plugs but keep it on the plug wire and get someone to crank the motor, if it sparks then thats not the issue...then its something a lot more questionable

Now have a 2009 Dodge ram 2500 (but thats not stopping me from being here...seeing as how i did own a VW for a while!)
-Only because i live in alberta and we are truck guys out here!

Stereo Setup Sold with Jetta- However install in truck is starting to get into motion.
Plans
-ALL JL AUDIO, 2-12W3 subs, 1500W TMA Monoblock, 400W TMA fourchannel, 2 Sets of components, with Double din touchscreen and GPS ALL CUSTOM
Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Im making my list for tommarow. Mind you its at a public car wash so I have to work on it there. So I need to fix all that I can in a fast manor. Do you think it could be the timing belt. I didnt take off the cover to see. as of now it dose not start or try to start, the starter turns but it dosnt spit or spudder or anything....
also I dont know about on these cars but I know my old crown vic, I had a plug go bad and it would start but run like complete crap, and was weak as a kitten. But it would still start and run. Wouldnt the golf do the same thing?
Ahhh I hope I can figure it out, I had my fingers crossed that it was the coil, but that didnt change a thing, then I checked the fuses and they were good, then the rotor button and it was fine....
Old 02-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1

i would think the fuel pump. when mine went (95 jetta 2.0) i would be driving at 70 mph and it would stall. then i'd try to start it and couldnt. but if i waited 10 mins, i could. it was fine for a week and then again, 70 mph and stalled. it did it like 3-4 times and then it wouldnt start at all. i couldnt figure it out for a long time. then i took the fuel line that goes into the fuel injectors off and tried to start the car. gas came out, but it was like a garden hose pressure. i think it's supposed to be at 36 psi for my car. i knew it wasnt 36. so i'd try that and see if theres any pressure
Old 02-21-2009, 08:27 PM

ok put it in the shop, had to replace the engine wiring harness, a few colient lines, a connection box and a few other things cant rember end up costing 500 got it back friday and now I have no breaks.... grr whats next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.