VW Forum banner

I can shift into reverse 1st, 3rd, 5th gear!!! help!

14K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  LostBok 
#1 ·
the VR6 starts perfectly, but just cant shift into the gears! i depress the clutch all the way already..but that dosent help. after warming up, and turn off the engine letting it sit for couple hours, it can go into gears. But it became very unsmooth and whenever i go into the reverse, the transmission just makes a real bad "kakkkkkk" sound..and the car shakes a bit....i think the gear wheels makes that sound...

I am going to put it into a shop. but just before that, I wanna check in here with you guys just to know what is kinda happening. so i wont get rip off by the mechanics.

thnks~

#5 ·
well..it didnt get worst...but little worse.
after a while i was able to drive it around (shift still not smooth). then about 3-5miles running, it turn out to be pretty good. but after sitting the car for 5hrs. it got bad again.
and the reverse "Kakkkk" sound still remain.

think of anything?

#6 ·
hello
I have not been on the forum in a while but i HAD this problem
once and it was located in your shifter area which has a plastic linckage which tends
to tear and allows you to go into certain gears and not others. Its sounds strange but
take apart your shifter and check the linkage and its structure if there is a any tears
you need to replace very cheap but cheaply made should have made this with metal instead of plastic.I dont have the names for the parts or specs but if you go to the dealer
they have the diagrams for the shifter and its hardware and maybe you get a better view of what I am talking about. I had the same problem and it cost 25.00 to repolace.
good luck and sorry for not having more details.
chuck :lol:

#7 ·
yup,

i´ve had this problem too.

what happened to my car was that at first i could drive the car in 1st, 3rd and 5th gear, and reverse. okay.. then it stopped working at all ...

i would suggest that you fix it asap or if you cant do it yourself, take it to a mechanic. it shouldnt be so expensive to fix.

a tip: if you are driving around in it and it wont go into any gear you can open the hood, and on the right side, beside the engine there is a "L" shaped stick... (make shure your car isnt on and shifter is in neutral) you can push or pull this lever / stick back and front.. until it goes into gear, you should feel it when it pops into the gear, otherwise you can always start the car and try to drive off. you can do this a few times untl you find the 1st or 3rd gear.. 1st gear is better of course but you can also drive it in 3rd but its not very popular with your clutch. but.. try go get it into 1st and drive sowly home or to the mechanic.

i had this thing fixed on my car.. and shifting actually got better than before i had this problem.. :)

#8 ·
Same problem here. there was a small rubber/plastic component to the linkage that had come "unhooked". It is located just at the shift linkage inlet to the tranny case. I didn't even replace the part, but just snapped it back together. 20,000 miles since and no tranny porbs. (although plenty of others :roll: )

#9 ·
I'd check the shorter plastic linkage on the top of the gearbox first.

I'm really not that clued up at all (had to call the AA out the first time), he did a quick fix on the roadside adn showed me how to fix it myself once I'd bought the part.

The part cost me £2.20 (US$4) and took me <10 mins to install.

My symptoms were that it had difficulty shifting into 5th and then stopped shifting into 5th completely, then a short while later the shifter went very lose and I lost most horizontal movement i the gearbox (3rd and 4th only).

If the gearbox isn't engaing any of the gears properly, then you may have problems with the longer linkage, with a metal bar in the centre section. It is located just behind and slightly to the centre of the car from the linkage pictured.

#10 ·
It's a VR so it wont have that part. Sounds like the cable clip on the selector cable fell off. Check on the bracket on top of the trans toward the back where the shift cable housings connect. Chances are one of them will be flopping around, missing the clip.

#11 ·
apols - thought I had my car stats in my sig ('98 mk3 cabriolet - pretty much the same as an 8v GTI).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.