Jetta Pass floor wet - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Default Jetta Pass floor wet

I have a '97 Jetta GT that's leaking water onto the passenger area of the floor.

First off I can say 100% its not the Sunroof drains as I have checked them and they flow excellently and no water comes into car even when I pour several cups worth of water through.

I took the rain guard out and although it had some leaves under there which I cleaned it still leaks and the leaves where 100% dry so seals are all working well on the raingaurd.

its also leaking from the lower door hinge on both the driver and passenger side(but this just drains to the ground) and the driver side footwell does not get wet.

The leak gets worse when I have the front end pointed up a hill(on incline) its almost non existent on flat ground(heavy rain overnight results in a few dribbles) when on a hill its a steady large drip.

Some pics of leaking area, the actual leak is dripping onto the yellow spunge looking square of insulation. Also all of the pics where taken while it was currently raining heavily(I was soaked after being out in it for 5min).

Does anyone know where the drain pictured in the bottom left of the first pic goes? is it prone to clogging?

Water seems to be flowing correct direction here...

Obviously been a small leak for a long time judging by rust...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 03:04 PM
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Right after posting this I had a thought to pour water directly down the drain under the cowl and it drains much to fast to have a build up bad enough to drip into the car from up high.. so definitely not the issue.

Unless someone has any other good ideas my next step is going to be disassembling the entire dash to get a better look. Actually i will probably follow this guide first and if that doesn't help then pull dash apart.

Last edited by Dreded; 10-31-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Points: 1,485, Level: 21 Points: 1,485, Level: 21 Points: 1,485, Level: 21
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Does it have any type of a smell? Does your heat work? Could be a bad heater core. But if not then I would say the guide u want to fallow will be a good place to start.

Last edited by slooten1; 11-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.