Milky oil but no oil in the collent ? PVC valve crazy clogged...head gasket or? - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Points: 4,031, Level: 40 Points: 4,031, Level: 40 Points: 4,031, Level: 40
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Unhappy Milky oil but no oil in the collent ? PVC valve crazy clogged...head gasket or?

Hello all,
So I was messing around with my car today I was under the hood figured Id check my oil. I noticed a little milky sh*t on the dip stick so I pulled the oil cap off. and sure enough found thick milk on the bottom of the cap. So I was like FML my head gasket is going, then I was reading on herut a be and some people were talking aboad PVC valve so I checked it and it was milky but not like liquid, inside looked more like a thick lard or something. Hoping like hell the head gasket is not gone or the car will end up in the junk yard, could anything else be causing this? Bad PVC valve, some other gasket or anything? Also I have no other way to work if I flush the engine and change the oil in the morning would I be ok to get to work and home a few times?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

That is nasty, it very well could be your head gasket. Hows your coolant levels?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Points: 6,529, Level: 52 Points: 6,529, Level: 52 Points: 6,529, Level: 52
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

I have 210k miles on my aba and I run 5000 miles (mostly highway) per oil change with gtx high mileage and when I change the oil its still fairly light color and viscous - I changed the valve cover gasket 6 months ago or so cause there was visible oil leakage and I knew it would make its way down to the head gasket if i didn't swap it (easy job). Is there visible leakage from your valve cover gasket?

At any rate this problem probably started somewhere else and made its way to the head gasket - this is not something that happened overnight. ABA runs forever you just have to watch for the pcv system/valve cover gasket cause if the crankcase isn't breathing properly the pressure imbalance really screws the engine. Going to the junkyard and pulling another aba is way cheaper than a new (used) car that you'll have to repair anyways!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Points: 909, Level: 16 Points: 909, Level: 16 Points: 909, Level: 16
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

it more than likely is just the pcv valve....replace it and see what happens....if the pcv valve is clogged up enough that its not allowing the engine to properly ventilate it will accumulate moisture inside the engine which this is obviously doing. i am new to vw's but i have worked in enough shops to know that this is a common problem. i would say about %75 of all mk2 and mk3 vw's i have seen have had moisture in the oil cap or on the dip stick due to moisture build up. The blowby vapors that end up in an engine's crankcase contain moisture as well as combustion byproducts and unburned fuel vapors. The crankcase is sealed to prevent the escape of these gases into the atmosphere, but the vapors must be removed to prevent oil contamination that leads to sludge formation. The positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system siphons these vapors from the crankcase and routes them into the intake manifold so they can be reburned in the engine.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

But your PCV is clogged like that for a reason, there has to be a problem that is causing all the cloggage.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Points: 6,529, Level: 52 Points: 6,529, Level: 52 Points: 6,529, Level: 52
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

i had to replace my pcv saucer at one point and there was no discolored accumulation at all - the oil was a perfectly normal color. i had a good bit of oil oil spitting up into my throttle body and it was dripping down to my oil filter kinda badly. i bought a new one from german auto parts and cracked the plastic open on my old saucer - i saw that the seal around the diaphragm was badly shot and it also wasn't moving up and down properly. i ended up also replacing the o-ring in the breather housing off the side of the block. i was all inside the pcv system and there was no discoloration of oil at all and my saucer was completely hosed. my screwed pcv system then leaky valve cover gasket was not a coincidence - i wanted to stop all that before it became an even bigger problem. that coolant/oil sludge comes from something way down the line past just a faulty pcv
Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Points: 4,031, Level: 40 Points: 4,031, Level: 40 Points: 4,031, Level: 40
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Figured I would update for people searching in the future. I cleaned out the PVC valve and the tubes coming out of it and changed my oil. The problem has not been back. After some research on the issues I have found that excess moisture in the oil never had time to burn out as I was only making short trips back and forth to work in cooler temps at night that never heated up the engine enough to burn it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.