Parts interchange guide - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Points: 2,359, Level: 29 Points: 2,359, Level: 29 Points: 2,359, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Parts interchange guide

Is there a parts interchange guide anywhere on the internet? Plus, I'm looking for a chart or guide that will tell me what model car/year has what engine/tranny (not sizes or drive types, but code designations)

I have a 96 golf, 4dr. Nothing special, but I'd like to know what it has, what other cars have, and what's compatable, and what's different (as in, maybe one day, I'd like to convert the car to GTi specs or something)
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 16,464, Level: 82 Points: 16,464, Level: 82 Points: 16,464, Level: 82

Send a message via AIM to Fourt1thirty

1993-1999... everything can be changed with the exception of trunk/taillight/bumper parts between Golf and Jettas. It isn't so much if something can fit, it's what it takes to change it over and you aren't going to find an interchange guide that lists all the parts you need for those kinds of things.

If you have something specific, ask freely. Chances are I can answer the question.

Examples:

1993 Jettas had a one year only dash. Get the dash, instrument surround and headlight switch and you can put it in anything.
You can run a VR6 instrument cluster but you need to convert to a VR6 for the tach to read right.
1998 and up models had keyless entry. Get an alarm module from one and plug it in. Your car is already wired for it.
1993 had an upper glovebox instead of the passenger side airbag. It fits with little trimming to the airbag brackets.
Golf and Jetta wiper stalks are different, the part that wears out, however, is the same
The easiest disc brake conversion involves a complete rear beam dropout from anything with rear disc brakes.

it literally would never end if I kept going, it's just a matter of knowing all the combinations.

Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a bi-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a shit. - Banksy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006, 10:16 PM

Thank you. Especially for that disc brake swap tip. I was floored when I saw the cost of aftermarket kits. The golf we bought isn't going to be driven too hard (I'm building a locost 7 for that), but it needs lots of TLC just to get it back to "looking good", especially on the inside. It needs things like vents, new door lock tabs, could use door panels (do those interchange?), a new manual window crank (using vice grips at the moment) for the drivers side. Mirrors. Things like that.

Bigger down the road ideas, will the Mk4 front clip fit the Mk3's? Did VW keep the base chassis the same, making this a "bolt on" affair, or is it MAJOR reconstruction?

And am I right in assuming that all 2.0L are 8V cars? The 16V belonging to the GTI's and VR6's?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 16,464, Level: 82 Points: 16,464, Level: 82 Points: 16,464, Level: 82

Send a message via AIM to Fourt1thirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
like vents, new door lock tabs, could use door panels (do those interchange?), a new manual window crank (using vice grips at the moment) for the drivers side. Mirrors. Things like that.
Everything interchanges. Door panels are 4dr only. They all fit but the cloth and pattern changed over the years and models.

Quote:
will the Mk4 front clip fit the Mk3's? Did VW keep the base chassis the same, making this a "bolt on" affair, or is it MAJOR reconstruction?
MK3s and MK4s are totally different. You can use the MK3.5 Cabrio parts from 2000-2003 since they cloned the MK4 front end on a MK3 chassis. You'd need the whole nose of the car.

Quote:
And am I right in assuming that all 2.0L are 8V cars? The 16V belonging to the GTI's and VR6's?
86.5-89 16v = 1.8L
90-92 16v = 2L
93-present 8v = 2L
2.0 FSI in the new GTI and GLI is a 16v.

VR6s and 16vs were all GTI, GLI, GTX affairs except for the 16v Passat.

Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a bi-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a shit. - Banksy
Old 10-19-2006, 05:11 AM

Again, thank you. It's fun yet frustrating learning all this new stuff. I'm not new to cars in any way, but new to VW's (well, I did have 74 beetle, but that's completely different). I think I'll stop asking questions for a little while now
Old 09-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

Are window regulators the same on the mk4 beetle golf jetta or only if the doors are the same? If not would a 2 door golf work on a 4 door golf?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1

Hello, I did not want to start a new thread so I hope is ok to post here, My question is:
I just bough a 2003 jetta, 4 cyl, mfi code k with a spun bearing, I want to replace the crank and rod bearing but I dont know what will fit it. I have an extra engine laying around that came off a 1995 4 cyl jetta and i want to know if I can use this crank and bearings, and if not what other will work, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.