Passenger door will not open - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2002, 02:18 PM
Points: 7,018, Level: 55 Points: 7,018, Level: 55 Points: 7,018, Level: 55
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Passenger door will not open

I'm having a problem with the passenger side front door. The key turns fine in the lock, and the "plunger" on the door goes up indicating that the door is unlocked but when you pull on the handle, nothing. the door stays locked. So I lock, then unlock the door again....nothing.

I opened up the door panel and took a look inside last week and everything seems to be in place. I didn't pull out the mechanism that opens the door, but I have a feeling the problem is in there. How much could I expect to pay to have this fixed?

It is an issue that needs to be addressed though for safety of myself and my passenger.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

hizzout@attbi.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2002, 02:20 PM

Oh, and I've got a 97 Jetta GLS 4-door.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 58,809, Level: 100 Points: 58,809, Level: 100 Points: 58,809, Level: 100

Send a message via AIM to db Send a message via MSN to db

I've replaced the door handles on my MK2 twice around. It's pretty easy you should be able to find a handle/lock etc. at a VW parts place for about $20. To have this replaced with the labor would probably run about $60. I would take it all apart make sure everything is functioning. The biggest problem for locks to fail is no lubrication. The water gets down in there and drys up then with everyday use they bust.

Best of luck!
Old 12-27-2002, 07:50 PM
Points: 9,342, Level: 64 Points: 9,342, Level: 64 Points: 9,342, Level: 64

Send a message via AIM to VW013 Send a message via MSN to VW013 Send a message via Yahoo to VW013

Have you recently taken the handles off? If not there is a slight chance that maybe the plastic hook clip on your handle might have broken, very odd though for that to happen. When reinstalling the handles you have to make sure its turned and lined up properly or else you will break it off, trust me I did it when I got my car redone the first time at a body shop. The handle comes off with a screw from the side of the door and simply turn the lock cylinder to get it off and also put it back on. DONT FORCE IT!!!
Old 01-15-2003, 07:23 PM

Well I got it repaired on Monday and they milked me for $330. [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Of course most of the cost was labor but still, $300+ to replace a latch is a little steep. They tried to get me to pay an extra hundred for a new external handle but that is one job I can do myself and find a handle on Ebay or in a salvage yard or something.

Of course if anyone out there knows of a good place to get an external handle for a 97 Jetta GLS, I would appreciate a heads up.

I'm glad it's fixed, but seriously pissed I had to pay so much to get it repaired.

Live an learn I guess....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.