Please Help!! crank pulley broke off - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Points: 1,157, Level: 18 Points: 1,157, Level: 18 Points: 1,157, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Please Help!! crank pulley broke off

Hey guys, I was driving along yesterday and it kind of seemed like it was lacking power on the bottom end. It felt like it had a power band. I kept driving a few miles more, and then it died. I get off the road and open the hood. My crank pulley (lowest pulley) it laying there, not attached to the motor no more. I was just wondering how screwed I am, or is there some way I can easily fix it. It sheared some kind of bolt off. So I am not sure on these 4 cyl. (itís the 2.0 jetta)

Please help. Here are 2 pics of that pulley.

00 Banshee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 16,464, Level: 82 Points: 16,464, Level: 82 Points: 16,464, Level: 82

Send a message via AIM to Fourt1thirty

Can you get the big sheared off bolt out of the crank snout?

Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a bi-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a shit. - Banksy
Old 04-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 18,045, Level: 85 Points: 18,045, Level: 85 Points: 18,045, Level: 85

Send a message via AIM to duke

WOW
Old 04-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Points: 8,326, Level: 61 Points: 8,326, Level: 61 Points: 8,326, Level: 61
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

No one ever believes us when we say the 2.0 is a torque monster.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:01 AM

I would talk to a MECHANIC, unless you know someone very able in the ways. They would be able to tell you whether or not they could back the broken bolt out of the motor, if so, easy fix, but I would wonder about the condition of the head. There is a chance you smacked a valve or two or three or four. In that case... a used motor is 300-500 bucks plus shipping from ebay, plus install.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Points: 2,921, Level: 33 Points: 2,921, Level: 33 Points: 2,921, Level: 33

I gotta hand it to you - I've been fartin' around with cars for 32+ years - and I've NEVER seen that particular bolt fail before!

I'd suspect that the damage isn't all external - that a couple valves were introduced to piston domes - plus there's gotta be a reason that the bolt let loose - it's not like it's a .25/20TPI fitting - that's a substantial hunk of steel - so (what I suspect) - either - your water pump siezed, stopped the timing belt and the torque sheared off the crank pulley snout OR your cam bearings siezed (but I don't like that alternative as much) OR your intermedidate shaft siezed (taking your oil pump out as well - or perhaps it was the oil pump that shit the bed, siezing the shaft) - whatever - something stopped way to fast - the crank continued to rotate and torqued off the crank pulley.

Suggestion? Search for a donor 2.0 and swap it in - cheaper in the long run than rebuilding your existing lump - especially if you end up needing machine work (and I suspect you will) -
Old 04-09-2007, 02:50 PM

Well, i have had this really anoying beeping sounds (oil presure sensor going off) I asked a question on here a while ago, and they said that could be a wiring error. It has been doing it FOREVER. So maybe something really was the problem...But also. about an hour before this happened about I turned on my A/C for the 1st time since i have owned it. Maybe something was wrong there? i don't know. I am stupid with these little motors. I was thinking of either parting the whole car out or just getting a motor off craigslist.org. But then i started to question the whole, how do i know this motor i buy will be fine, i mean why pull a prefectly good motor out for no reason...
00 Banshee
Old 04-09-2007, 03:15 PM

... well .. there's something wrong with the engine now .. even if there wasn't before the crank pulley sheared off. Pull that lump out now, toss it in a garden and you'll have a siezure-salad (I'm sorry, I really am, bad jokes are just part of who I am ....).

Seriously - if you can find a motor in a scrap-yard - pull it from the donor car and install it yourself (or with the help of some friends) it's not that big a deal (note that I say this from the relative comfort of my office). Sometimes you can tell if it's a good motor or not by looking at the donor car - if the car got rear-ended and did NOT get shoved into something in front of it you should be fine. Sad to say it's not as easy to bench run used engines as it once was (apply 12V to the coil, dump some gas down the carb throat and hit the starter motor with a 12V shot) - personally I like to SEE donor cars - you don't want a motor out of a car covered with "go faster" stickers that's been ridden hard and put away wet -

Best of luck - it really does suck when stuff like this happens.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:03 PM

took me a couple times to read that..haha. But once it died, i heard no noice, so i tryed to start it. it turned over fine...so its not siezed..

How hard is it to to a motor swap on these...I know its not like only our chevelle..small block to big block in a day...but you gotta mess with all that front wheel drive crap..
00 Banshee
Old 04-09-2007, 08:18 PM

I've seen them fail. Pretty typical on diesels and G60s, less common but happens on 16vs and damn rare on 8vs like what we see here. Usually it's caused by someone re-using the bolt (it's a stretch bolt). Since ABAs are rarely interferance it could be good if you could get the bolt out and the keyway on the crank is still good.

Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a bi-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a shit. - Banksy
Old 04-10-2007, 01:06 PM

So, its considered a bad thing to reuse that bolt, eh? Oops. I guess I'll just have to pray mine's fine.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosten450
How hard is it to to a motor swap on these...I know its not like only our chevelle..small block to big block in a day...but you gotta mess with all that front wheel drive crap..
the FWD stuff isn't that daunting - just detatch the axles from the gearbox and pull it all in one bit -
As with most swaps, "before" pictures and careful labeling of wires / connectors can make the installation process a lot more fun.

If your engine still turns over free you might have gotten lucky and not siezed it - (carpe engine?) - if you're going to fix it in place (and you can get the bolt bits out of the crank snout and the keyway is still in good shape) I'd put the pulley back on - set the static timing - pop a cam belt on and check the compression before you do anything else - if the valves were introduced to the piston domes a lack of compression will let you know well in advance of trying to start the thing.

You know - I was thinking about this - it's possible that the crank pulley bolt backed out a bit - that little bit of wobble room would have put a hell of a stress on the bolt - potentially being the cause of failure.

What would concern me is the oil pressure alarm - but if it's been doing it for a long time it could be wiring -

Best of luck

Steve
Old 04-10-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethefolkie
... and not siezed it - (carpe engine?)
That was pretty bad

Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourt1thirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethefolkie
... and not siezed it - (carpe engine?)
That was pretty bad
aw man ... I was hoping it'd garner a "really bad" rating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.