VW Forum banner

Really just a vacuum issue...or voodoo magic?

4K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  jr.nation88 
#1 ·
I drive a not so pretty but solid as as a tank, 97 VW Jetta (5 speed, GLS, 2.0 gas). I do most of my own work using what I have learned on here, YouTube and using the manual.

A month ago my A/C quit blowing cold. I figured it was a leak because I replaced the compressor a year back. I'd charge it and it would blow cold for a bit and then back to warm. I just left as is because did not want to spend the money as summer was coming to an end.

A few weeks later I started experiencing a rough idle and loss of power under driving conditions. Engine light gave me a P0302 (misfire) so I started small and worked up. It needed new plugs anyways so put new ones in. Didn't solve it. Put new wires on, no change. New rotor and cap, no change. New ignition coil and no change (all of these were OEM parts).

While doing the ignition coil work I noticed the boot on the vacuum hose connected to the brake booster was partially off so I pushed it back on. When I started my car, misfire was gone, engine light off and A/C worked!

I know vacuum plays a large role in a lot of things but could this one loose hose on the brake booster cause my misfire and my A/C not to work?

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is a pic of the hose I was talking about. I've been looking to buy an OEM replacement just to be safe. Any idea of what exactly its called? I keep finding different looking vacuum diagrams that what mine actually looks like. Plus when I find the hose I think it is, it does not branch like this one and/or does not have the separate little valve in it. Do I buy all of that separate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.