Result of valve lifter noises? - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14 Points: 746, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Result of valve lifter noises?

Assuming it's just from the lifters being gunked up and not a symptom of something more serious like bad oil pump, what does lifters clattering actually lead to? Can a lifter get stuck and get a valve munched by a cylinder? Do the valves not open all the way? What are the consequences besides having a car that sounds like junk for the first 5 minutes when you start it first thing in the morning?

I've asked about this before but only about solutions, not the consequences. Our '98 golf's lifters sound pretty loud for a while after cold start. I was considering changing out the lifters when I have a few days off but it's a beater anyway so I'm wondering if it's at all worth the trouble and expense. Especially since the '06 rabbit is starting to get some valve noise at 30k and that's without any abuse of the recommended oil change period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Points: 720, Level: 14 Points: 720, Level: 14 Points: 720, Level: 14

Goatmonkey...

Do you have a question in your post?
Old 10-01-2008, 06:19 PM

I'm a bit confused. Am I mentally filling in a big gap in my post? The way I'm rereading it there is a question and it's asked with triple redundancy in the first paragraph.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 6,910, Level: 54 Points: 6,910, Level: 54 Points: 6,910, Level: 54
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Goatmonkey,

If you are interested in replacing your lifters, an excellent writeup is below:

The Great MKIII ABA 2.0 Camshaft, Valve Seal, Lifter, and Spring Install.

If you use the proper tools, you don't even have to remove the head, just remove the valve cover and camshaft (timing belt obviously as well). Then blow compressed air into the cylinder through the spark plug hole to prevent the valve from dropping into the cylinder (the site explains the procedure).

What I took away from the VW lifter design is you want to use at most 5w30 oil; the extremely narrow clearances of the lifter assy. would frown upon thicker oil at cold temperatures.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 AM

I've been looking at just that writeup, that guy's page is great. I'm in agreement about 5w30 as well. Going to change out the 10w for it this weekend if the rain lets up.

But that still doesn't answer my question: what will happen if I just let the lifters rattle?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Ok Goatmonkey... you are right, I am wrong.

I re-read your post and you did pose a question; my apology. Just goes to show you that you shouldn't try to do anything important after your second martini.

Consequences of lifter clatter: Rather doubt that a lifter will get so stuck that it gets "munched" by a piston under normal circumstances. Most likely you have more than one lifter that is partially collapsed and the cam is beating on them.

From what you described I would think that you would notice a loss of power on acceleration and an engine miss from time to time.

If you love your '98 then by all means replace the lifters. If it is a real "beater" then replace the vehicle. The decision is yours.

I am surprised that your '06 Rabbit is starting to generate lifter noises after only 30K miles. Does your Rabbit have solid or hydraulic lifters? Is it still under warranty (3 years or 36K miles)?

I personally think Keehan is correct when he says that all the newer VWs like 5-30wt oil and don't like a higher viscosity, unless driving in a high heat climate.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:06 PM

To all,

Engine flush... To periodically "flush" [cleanout] your engine or not; that is the question.

I recently posted a thread on the MK4 forum on engine flush and to date have not really received any informed responses. Maybe in goatmonkey's situation a flush could help. I frankly, don't know; but I am interested in other members opinions particular those that have a flush done before.

Anyone's response with an informed opinion would be most welcomed.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:49 PM

If you run a search on google groups about this, there's a good deal of feedback on flushes. The most often recommended thing is Valve Medic. Warm up the engine, dump it in, drive around a bit, change the oil. Next time you start it up, angels will sing, rainbows will shoot out of your exhaust pipe and the engine will no longer rattle.

I've run Valve Medic through this engine twice in the past 3 months. There was very little singing, the engine still rattles and I keep forgetting to check for rainbows. This car has pretty low mileage for a 10-year old vehicle so it's been sitting around a lot. Naturally things are pretty gunked up. Other than the VM, i've been trying to take the moderate approach and just let it clear up on its own since now it gets driven to work every day. Also I manage to find an excuse to change the oil ever 1-1.5k.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Hello Goatmonkey,

Valve Medic is an engine oil additive that claims to cure "sticking (ticking hydralic only) lifters". It has been around awhile; but, it is not a true "flush" product. I have tried it in the past on my1982 Scirocco and frankly found no satisfory results resulted from its use. Not too surprised as Miss Scirocco had 200K miles on it when I put it in.

Regarding your 98 "beater" I still say if your really love it then replace all of the lifters. If you really would be enjoying driving something newer then replace the vehicle.

Also, since you apparently have lifter and / or valve guide problems I seriously doubt that changing oil every 1500 miles will help clear up your problems.

Frankly, I would be more concerned about your 2006 Rabbit. After only 30K miles you should not be experiencing lifter problems.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:51 PM

There's no problems. The 06 ticks a bit when I first start it up but it seems that VW valve-trains are louder than what I'm used to in general which is honda and nissan. The warranty is actually 50k/5 year.

Will collapsed lifters lead to engine failure or will it just start running worse? I'm not even sure I'll have this car past next summer so all i'm looking for is can this kill it?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:19 AM

2006 Rabbit - I recommend that you have your dealership take a look at it. My 2000 Jetta 1.8T with 102K miles on it does not tick at all either on a cold start up or when warmed up.

1998 Golf - Total collapsed lifters are rare in my experience. I seriously doubt if all lifters would totally collapse at the same time. In any event, if they do it will probably not damage the engine, it just won't run. Might chug a bit and then die.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 AM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

The most common way to solve the problem is to add oil to valve lifter,on the other hand,perhaps your valve lifter is very old,it need to change a new one,if you want to savvy more information about valve lifter,please browse Valve Lifter Manufacturers, Valve Lifter Suppliers, Wholesale Valve Lifter Exporters - ECVV China
Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75 Points: 13,627, Level: 75
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

really? This thread is from 2008 yo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.