1999 Volkswagen Transmission/Shifting Problems. Advice Please? - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Default 1999 Volkswagen Transmission/Shifting Problems. Advice Please?

My wife has a 1999 Volkswagen Jetta. I think it is the GLX. It has roughly 150,000 miles on it. It has been experiencing shifting problems for a while
now. I didn't realize how bad until I drove it again a few days ago. Then today when she was going to work it wouldn't fully start. It was trying to,
but wouldn't. I ended up taking her to work on my way back to work. I didn't take a look at it then. I am wondering if the transmission could be
preventing it from starting, I read something about the electrical system and emergency modes. I'll try boosting it off when I get home and see if it is simply the battery.

However, to talk actually about the transmission.

She can be stopped at a redlight, and when she begins to accelerate it will first stall for about one second, then it will jolt forward, spinning the tires on the pavement and moving suddenly.

However, if you place it in 1st gear manually while stopped, and then accelerate, it does fine. It also does fine when you manually shift into 2nd gear at around 2500 rpm.

I am worried that the transmission needs replacing/rebuilding. That would probably cost more than what the car is worth. However, since it seems to
shift ok manually (via the "sport shifter), I am clinging to the hope that it will hopefully fix it to simply have the transmission serviced. What is
the likelihoods of this?

As soon as I get home today, I plan on checking to see what transmission specifically the car has. Assuming I get it up and running easily tonight via a
boost of the battery, what sort of troubleshooting, diagnostics can I do to discover more about what is causing it?
I have arrangements to get it to a shop Monday (that is the earliest they can see us). I would like to do everything I can in troubleshooting before
then. I need all the advice I can get, and will provide any further information I can if requested.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Boosted it when I got home. It just got "cold" here and I suppose that may have caused a preexisting problem to show with the battery.

I drove it a bit. It "jolted" a time or two, bad. However, I drove it HARD. Petal to the floor (how she is afraid to drive it). After it got going and warmed up, it didn't matter if I stopped, turned the car off, put it in reverse, etc, and it was fine. It didn't jolt.

Am I correct in hoping that a transmission service may go a very long way here? If we can pay roughly $200 to make the car last another 6 months, we would be ok. I just hate the idea of having to shell out $1000-$3000 right now.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

I had a similar problem on my old Honda Accord. Stalling out weirdly but not dying, then jolting to life, then fixing itself as it warmed up.

Issue was caused by a faulty oxygen sensor. Yanked it, replaced it, worked fine. I hope that helps!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Points: 1,973, Level: 26 Points: 1,973, Level: 26 Points: 1,973, Level: 26
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

I know exactly what your talking about because my car does the same thing. If you take off easy you can avoid it but I cannot get an answer as to why it happens. I was hoping someone here would know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« surging | Bushings? »