2000 Golf Head Light Bulb Replacement - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Points: 3,657, Level: 38 Points: 3,657, Level: 38 Points: 3,657, Level: 38
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Default 2000 Golf Head Light Bulb Replacement

Did a search and couldnt find anything explinaing how to access / replace the light bulb/s with out removing the grill and or bumper. Sorry if I'm in error...

Thought this might help someone avoid the issue I experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Points: 3,657, Level: 38 Points: 3,657, Level: 38 Points: 3,657, Level: 38
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Default Instructions Attached (Headlight Bulb Replacement)

Sorry I screwed up the attachment (to big)

What follows is less pictures. PM if you would like the puctures

OK, hereís my storyÖ.

Went for a sticker yesterday and moron mechanic discovered a faulty headlight and broke the mounts to my headlight trying to replace it.

I took over at this point.

BTW: I did conduct a search and didnít find anything like this. Let me know if Iím in error. Also, please let me know if there are any good sources to find a replacement.

I created some simple steps for accessing the head light bulbs on the driver side. The passenger side is easily accessible. What follows is a brief explanation with photos, for anyone interested.

1.) Donít let a moron touch your car (proceed to step two)

2.) Remove two Philips head screws and slide upwards plastic cover / guard

3.) Remove two Philips head screws and remove plastic cover / guard

4.) Remove battery plastic guard / cover
Note: there is a 10mm hex head bolt, multiple clip / tabs holding it in place and a cable clamp that needs to be undone.

5.) Loosen the battery clamp (12mm hex head)

6.) Now you should be able to access the clamp for the rear guard of the light assy
Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Premium Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 10,660, Level: 68 Points: 10,660, Level: 68 Points: 10,660, Level: 68
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Send a message via AIM to 05GTI1.8T

dude ur doing wayyyy to much work.

1.) the black plastic covers on the back of your headlights are clipped in with 2 bars gently pull the bars apart and the plastic cover will come off.

2.) after you have the plastic covers off you should be able to see your headlight bulb take the wiring harness off of the headlight pull gently it will come just need a lil elbow grease.

3.) after you get the headlight wiring out of the way there is another metal bar holding the headlight in place look for a screw holding it in (DO NOT UNDO THIS SCREW) on the opposite side of the screw is the retaining point you just simply push forward and down on the retaining clip to get it to come undone.

4.) after the retaining clip is loose take out your old headlamp and put the new one in (DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB). after you have positioned the tab with the flat side up into the headlight assembly properly it should sit flush.

5.) After you have the headlight in position bring the retaining clip back to where it was push in and up to make it lock.

6.) connect the wiring harness to the bulb

7.) put the plastic cover back on and fasten the 2 retaining clips back into position DONE! now go have a beer or do the other side lol

as for the driver side (battery side) u shouldnt have to move your battery i have 3 dubs in the family and never have i undone the battery to change a headlamp. it just takes patience and a flexible hand.

as for that mechanic 1.) yes he is a moron 2.) hes probably new 3.) not all mechanics r morons (points to self)

PM Me about VWF stickers

~Brian
05GTI1.8T - Under Construction
ASE Certified Technican
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukn_dubn_gti View Post
vw's run on hopes and dreams bro.

Last edited by 05GTI1.8T; 02-26-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Anybody able to tell if the xenon bulbs also come out without dismantling the bumper etc?!
I cannot get good enough grip to twist the ring retaining the bulb properly and I am afraid I will just break something trying..

The above is assuming I have to twist the ring of course.. please correct me if I am wrong!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.