VW Forum banner

2001 Jetta Warning Lights

13K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Geezir 
#1 ·
Hey, I just bought a 2001 Jetta Bora edition and I'm just wondering if somebody can either link me to a place on the net that has an explanation of all the warning lights (my car didn't come with an Owner's Manual and I don't have the $40 to buy one at the moment) or if somebody can tell me what this light means.

Twice today on startup the (I'm assuming coolent temperature light?) would flash for a couple minutes. The red light with the image of a thermometer in water? Any pointers on what this is telling me?

#3 ·
Can you not use the Prestone premixed stuff? Stores are quite a distance away and I have a few jugs of the Prestone stuff in my garage here at home.

#4 ·
What color is your coolant?

You NEVER want to mix coolant, it will ruin your engine completely.

Pink is G12 coolant, add G12 50/50 with water (also called Pentosin)

Orange is GM Dexcool, add 50/50

Green is antifreeze, add 50/50

Obviously you know to make it a 50/50 mixture but if they are not the same kind of coolant you do NOT combine them. Certain coolants mixed together cause it to coagulate and become chunky which can block coolant passage through your motor and cause it to overheat.

#5 ·
Alright. Thanks a bunch TTT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.