VW Forum banner

anyone roughly know mileage for a VRT?

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  1.8turbooo 
#1 ·
Hey! I'm new here but not new to vdubz - no one in my immediate circle of friends knows how much a VRT gets in terms of mileage so here I am. I've got a 24v VR6 and a C2 Stage 1+ kit is on it's way, with a low compression head spacer for now. A little bit later on I plan to grab an LSD, SRI, and new clutch as well.

aannyywwaayyyy - I'm getting about 29 MPG / HWY right now running almost stock and I was wondering if anybody here with a 24V VRT can chime in and let me know approximate MPG after turbo? I know all set ups are all different, I just wanna know rough numbers if anybody has em.

ty!

#4 · (Edited)
yeah I was thinking I should grab a better clutch.... I need to replenish funds first tho. The Golf is in the body shop right now getting a new paint job so I have a little bit of time to throw that in.

Also while I have u guys here is there that much of a huge difference with a LSD? My buddy has a 12v turbo and he says the difference is night and day (but he won't let anybody drive it so I can't see for myself :p). Anyone have experience with that? Basically I'm debating for the immediate time being to spend funds on an LSD or really good summer rubbers (maybe Advan's or even P-Zero's?).

(thanks for the replies btw, much appreciated)

#5 ·
You won't be able to calculate the mileage over the amazing roar the motor will make.

then when you cut the motor off, the crowd of women surrounding your car will keep you from calculating it.

#9 ·
LSD makes a massive difference in FWD. It takes wheel spin down a lot which is FWD's downfall when it comes to straight-line racing. If I were you I would invest in some DOT soft track tires for when you take it to the strip or you won't hook up until 3rd or 4th gear and by then its too late.

As far as MPG, it's difficult to say. If you baby it, you'll probably get 20-25mpg on the highway due to the lower compression from the head gasket spacer, but we all know nobody babies their car when they throw a massive turbo on it, so my bets are on 10-15 mpg combined for ya ;)'

You WILL dominate the clutch though, and fast. I would do it all at once since you have to drop the trans. pretty much to do the clutch job. Would make putting the turbo in a bit easier I imagine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.