VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum (http://www.vwforum.com/forums/)
-   MK4 (http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Chinese exhaust review (http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f15/chinese-exhaust-review-58613/)

eswede26 06-14-2013 06:13 PM

Chinese exhaust review

Hey all, been a while.

Finally replaced my rotten OE exhaust in my 1.8t and I couldn't be happier. I'm not sure how long it'll last but the way I beat on that thing the car'll go before the exhuast rusts out... If you live in a place with no emissions, go ahead and get it. The sound is exactly what i'm looking for. I'll post a vid later but the car's in the air right now (sammich break).

The product is a 3" turbo back exhaust from Godsnow? Some chinese company. It cost me $176.00 on ebay. The seller's account name is SpeedDaddy.
Welds look good, flanges fit perfectly, there is a bung for the rear o2 if you wanna weld in your own cat which is what i'm doing today.

Some minor installation issues:
The clamps they give you are alright but i'd prefer them to be longer for the hell of it... cheap & easy fix though.
Also it rattled against the heat shield at the rear muffler. No big deal, a little finagling and a couple well placed swings of a mallot and you're in business.

Overview: 8 out of 10
Sounds great, went together easily, the performance gains are actually quite noticeable; WAY faster turbo spool and a bit more power.

If you're like me and don't have a lot of money to mess with and you want a bigger exhaust, this is the one for you.
Feel free to reply with any questions or comments.

vwGLI 06-14-2013 06:20 PM

hmmmm... very interested in hearing a sound/video clip of this exhaust. Im suprised the fitment was good.

I wonder if there would be a performance comparison between this and say 42dd TBE.

eswede26 06-14-2013 06:23 PM

I'd love to put the thing on a dyno but I am a poor schlub. I may know a guy who knows a guy though...

Shameless 06-14-2013 07:35 PM

How thick are the pipes? Makes quite a difference in price. Also thinner pipes are prone to cracking from extreme temps. Having a small turbo, our exhaust temps get ridiculously high.

China makes a much lower grade steel than america. Which is just more against it.
If the thing last 4 years I'd be impressed for that price I guess.

rodgertherabit 06-15-2013 01:00 AM

Pics would help! But from the sounds of it it's probably a "Tseudo" exhaust.

Nearly the same routing/design as eurojet, just crappier materials. Also the thinner exhaust tubing makes for a slightly different sound.

For the price it can't be beat that's for sure.

vwGLI 06-15-2013 01:14 AM

do you think one of these chinese exhausts would perform as well (hp and torque specs) as a name brand exhaust? or would some hp/tq be lost?

Shameless 06-15-2013 02:00 AM

Would be nearly exact horsepower/tq

Routing/design, outer diameter and muffler/resonator/cat is where the horsepower comes from. Doesn't have much to do with quality because as we know, having no cat/resonator... mostly straight through exhaust, yields a lot of power.

johntech111 06-16-2013 12:50 AM

Speed daddy - YouTube this it what the exhaust sounds speed daddy has gotten good reviews

tom5191 06-16-2013 01:09 AM

Sounds good on a boxer motor. But fart cannon? Really?....

Shameless 06-16-2013 02:24 AM

Really does sound like its farting.

WRX and mellon shooters are like bacon and beans though. Can't separate them.

eswede26 06-16-2013 11:39 AM

yeah it's a little more tinny sounding with the thinner materials. i took a vid and a few pics while it was up in the air but the quality isn't so great since it's with my laptop.

in terms of performance relative to more expensive exhausts of the same dimension, it'd be the same. the thicker exhaust would resonate a little less resulting in a slightly differend sound, but airflow is equally unrestricted, fluid motion is identical.
in my opinion i think other exhausts are more expensive simply because they're more durable and longer lasting

i welded up a cat out of a volvo c30 so i'll take a few more just to show you guys the work but with the cat in it actually sounds a little better.

but yeah i'm quite pleased with the exhaust :) :K::K::K: