Just bought a 2002 jetta, oil and maintenance questions - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Points: 155, Level: 3 Points: 155, Level: 3 Points: 155, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Just bought a 2002 jetta, oil and maintenance questions

Hey folks, I recently bought a 2002 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA GLS 2.0L L4 FI 80,000 miles for a very good price. However, It did not come with the owners manual. I just have a few questions regarding my car:

1.) What type of oil is recommended? I hear my particular model tends to burn oil fast. EX: 5w-30 Synthetic or standard oil and do i have to take my car to a dealer to get its oil changed?

2.) Is there a benefit in filling my car with premium? The gas door says regular gas, but I know a few people who own VWs and they use premium.

3.) Unfortunately, I bought the car with a bad Catalytic converter, should I be concerned to fix this right away or is this more of an issue of passing inspection?

4.) What should I routinely check / service in order to keep my Jetta running smoothly?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 03:33 PM
No Life Outside VWforum
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Send a message via AIM to TTTurbo1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyp1231 View Post
Hey folks, I recently bought a 2002 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA GLS 2.0L L4 FI 80,000 miles for a very good price. However, It did not come with the owners manual. I just have a few questions regarding my car:

1.) What type of oil is recommended? I hear my particular model tends to burn oil fast. EX: 5w-30 Synthetic or standard oil and do i have to take my car to a dealer to get its oil changed?

2.) Is there a benefit in filling my car with premium? The gas door says regular gas, but I know a few people who own VWs and they use premium.

3.) Unfortunately, I bought the car with a bad Catalytic converter, should I be concerned to fix this right away or is this more of an issue of passing inspection?

4.) What should I routinely check / service in order to keep my Jetta running smoothly?

thanks!
1. Your car shouldnt burn oil, recommended is 5w-30 generally for North America for a 4 cylinder.

2. You MIGHT see a tad bit better gas mileage on premium, but I doubt it unless you have a tune for it. VW owners that run premium are usually VR6 or 1.8T owners because the factory tune is for a higher octane gas.

3. The cat. I believe is a recall on that motor, call a VW dealership for information.

4. The motor is pretty solid on these. Check PCV system, and make sure the last timing belt job was done in the last 60k miles, if it wasn't heavily consider getting it done. It's costly and time consuming, but if your timing belt fails your engine is done for.

Boost or GTFO

2012 Volkswagen Candy White CC R-Line 6-Speed manual
Old 06-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Thanks for all that information, it was quite helpful.

I checked with my local dealer and there is no recall on my specific VIN as far as the cat is concerned. oh well, from what I hear its not too much of an issue until inspection comes around.

I'm currently looking into replacing my timing belt, its gonna run around $400 from a dealer, however I'm looking around for a better price. for my 2002 Jetta the timing belt should last up to 100,000 miles though, but like you said I should get it replaced just in-case.

by the way, does the Catalytic converter effect how the car runs in any matter? i heard it may affect the fuel efficiency of the vehicle, is that so? and is there a benefit of running synthetic over standard oil or do you just not need to change it as often?

thanks again
Old 06-19-2010, 01:54 PM
No Life Outside VWforum
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Send a message via AIM to TTTurbo1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyp1231 View Post
Thanks for all that information, it was quite helpful.

I checked with my local dealer and there is no recall on my specific VIN as far as the cat is concerned. oh well, from what I hear its not too much of an issue until inspection comes around.

I'm currently looking into replacing my timing belt, its gonna run around $400 from a dealer, however I'm looking around for a better price. for my 2002 Jetta the timing belt should last up to 100,000 miles though, but like you said I should get it replaced just in-case.

by the way, does the Catalytic converter effect how the car runs in any matter? i heard it may affect the fuel efficiency of the vehicle, is that so? and is there a benefit of running synthetic over standard oil or do you just not need to change it as often?

thanks again
400 isn't bad for the timing belt, but make sure they replace waterpump, tensioner, and roller for the timing belt.

Synthetic oil will run smoother but in a 2.0 it's not necessary, I would run it just for longevity.

A clogged cat will greatly affect performance and gas mileage

Boost or GTFO

2012 Volkswagen Candy White CC R-Line 6-Speed manual
Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 PM

thanks TTTurbo1.8T, I'm going to get the Catalytic Converter and Timing belt replaced. Can anyone give me an estimate on how much i should be expecting to pay, parts + labor?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2010, 09:41 PM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 10,602, Level: 68 Points: 10,602, Level: 68 Points: 10,602, Level: 68
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Depending on where you go it could be an arm and a leg. Buy your parts online and search for good deals, and find a good back yard mechanic, or search small neimborhood shops for the best price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04gti1.8t View Post
i would rather be gay than have a prius
Old 11-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1

I inquired about the "recall" on my 2002 VR6 after receiving several P0420 low threshold codes and was informed by the dealer that its not a recall, instead a "warranty extension" to 10 years or 100,000 miles on the catalytic convertor. Meaning if it fails within that time frame they will replace it, however its not a recall and they are not required to replace it unless it fails prior to the 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:21 AM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 10,602, Level: 68 Points: 10,602, Level: 68 Points: 10,602, Level: 68
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Well your car is only 8 years old with 80k on it, so go replace it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04gti1.8t View Post
i would rather be gay than have a prius
Old 11-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Points: 16,917, Level: 83 Points: 16,917, Level: 83 Points: 16,917, Level: 83
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

isn't the p0420 code for O2 sensor? that doesn't always mean its your cat failing. they will only cover the cat under warrenty if it fails. I get the O2 code hear and there but I clear it and go on. I find it depends on where I get gas from. I try to stick with sunoco only but sometimes I have no other choice but to run another company's gas in it

1 of those stubby things on the roof
Euro switch
AEM CAI
Unitronic stage 1+
2.5 in borla catback w/o resonator
35% tint
2 12" JL W1v2
JL A1200 Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.