VW Forum banner

Losing my mind over p2181

13K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LouieO 
#1 ·
I'm sure everyone on these forums are sick of reading about the P2181 code, so I apologize for yet another post....

2003 Golf 2.0

Changed the Temp Sensor to the green twice. First was from German Auto Parts, second was from VW. The code came back on after both changes.

My fans kick right in when you turn the AC on, they're working properly.

The car does not overheat. The temp goes up to 190 and holds strong. It does not move at all, never bounces. Consistently takes about 10 minutes to get up to 190.

I plan on going after the Thermostat even though nothing points to that as being the problem. I hate changing parts for the hell of it but I feel like I have no choice.

Any ideas at all out there? Is it possible I got two bad sensors? The car runs perfectly otherwise, not a single issue except the code. I have multiple mechanics in the family who are just dumbfounded. I really don't want to take it to VW. I don't have the money for that.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, so I have the same exact problem as you, and find it really frustrating... I've been doing countless amounts of searching the web, and can't seem to find any good help/advice...
I drive a 2003 VW Jetta GLS... I replaced the ECT sensor to the green one, and cleared the code... drove about 500 miles, and it came back on. I reset the computer again... this time drove ~1000 miles, and it finally came on... did a third time reset... took about another ~600 miles, and now it's on again. My inspection is coming up... besides the point... it's just annoying and I don't know what else to do... really don't want to go to the stealership. My car runs just fine as you have mentioned... any update as to what you did? or is it still a problem for you? Please let me know I'd appreciate it! thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
VW Forum

Ok, I registered to this forum just to answer this question about p2181 alarm code. My CEL popped a code 2181 the cooling system performance alarm. Found this forum and started my diagnosis. Like many others have said on this forum car runs at a steady 190 temperature no fluctuations.

mRead about turning the AC and fan switch on then turn the ignition and both fans should come on. We'll, one fan didn't come on the AC fan was dead. I thought great, Found my p2181 caues. I put a new fan because I could see the old fan was shot by turning by hand. Really rough to turn. Installed new fan which works fine. I reset the CEL but in a matter of hours it was back on.
My next step is take the low hanging fruit first. The temperature sensor is only 15 bucks and changes in about 15 minutes. So I changed it, reset the CEL , But it came back on. Next on the list of low hanging fruit was the cooling fan control module about 35 bucks and changes in about an hour only because the bolts are hard to get to. I thought maybe it was the cooling fan control module's fault by not switching the fan from low speed to high speed as the engine warms up. Reset the CEL but it came back on.

Ok, did all the above low hanging fruit to avoid the pain in the butt thermostat. I thought like I know many on here think. No way it can be my thermostat that's the problem because my engine warms up good and stays at a really steady 190 . I was thinking if it was the thermostat it would run cold if stuck open or overheat if stuck closed. So I changed the thermostat and housing with a kit I bought from ECSTuning. It was about 45 bucks for thermostat, O-ring, and nice cast housing. It took about 4 hours to do which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Heck the hardest part was placing the generator back into place. Long story short , I reset the CEL and it's been 2 weeks with no CEL. Dang thermostat was the problem even though temp was steady.

Reply Quote

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.