VW Forum banner

minor trans issues, 02 Jetta glx

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  videosquid 
#1 ·
First, I've been reading everything I can about this issue, wanted to ask about my specific symptoms.

Bought a Jetta last week with 130k, seemed to run and shift fine on the test drive. I have since noticed an intermittant, slight bump-clunk just before coming to a stop, which I now know is a harsh 2-1 downshift. Over the ~400 miles I have driven so far, it has also made one nasty 4-3 downshift where the revs flared then slammed into gear. This has only happened once. Shifting up is smooth as butter.

I am going to start by reseting the adaptive shift memory and see where that gets me. I think the car definately needs to respond a little more aggressively to my input, it is very reluctant to downshift when I floor it to pass on the freeway.

Does it sound like I might have a valve body issue as well? Everything I've seen just looks like the computer is shifting a little funky versus the tranny being unable to perform the shift correctly. I also want to change the fluid, anyone know some compatible generic fluids?

Thanks everybody.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.