My window fell into my door! - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 07:04 PM
MK4 & MK5 Owner
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 36,795, Level: 100 Points: 36,795, Level: 100 Points: 36,795, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Exclamation My window fell into my door!

fixed it however. on my way to work this morning (22*F) i went to put my window down to wake my ass up. push the window switch down and the motor made noise but the window stayed closed...until i hit bump, then wham! that sucker shot down into my door. so i drove 30 minutes with the window down. get to work and i slide the window up by hand and duct taped it closed(ghetto)get home and start tearing into the door. i never had to do this or knew what the hell i was doing but figured i cant break it anymore than it is. pulled out the window and set it aside. removed the door panel. removed all the 10mm bolts holding the door plate thing on. relized i did not have to do that. noticed the little black plugs and saw where the window sits. noticed they had screw and i could feel they worked like clamps. lossened them up, slide window back in, put window in the clamps, tightened clamps, checked to see if the window went up and down. it did. so i put everything back together and now enjoying a moosehead. you can spy my sticker that i won for ride of the month

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Resident Post Whore
Points: 19,534, Level: 88 Points: 19,534, Level: 88 Points: 19,534, Level: 88
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Send a message via AIM to stealthpassat

I hate shit like this listen to my story haha.
I was going to school and I got a flat tire so I pulled over went to get the spare. I hit the button to release the trunk and it didn't work. Tried everything. It was november and it was ohios first snow of the season and my trunk was full of goodies. Subs, amp, camera gear, etc. So I yanked all of that shit out on the side of the road forgetting there is a carpeted cover over the trunk actuator and I left my screwdriver set at school. Only think I had was a craftsman keychain screw driver. So I took the cover off manually popped the trunk and pulled my spare out changed the tire went to school discovered my ccm went. I went to the junkyard right after school and got another one. And right before my tranny went the new one went.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 PM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Send a message via AIM to TTTurbo1.8T

Not sure what year your car is, but the clips that hold the regulator in place are plastic in the early vw's and and aluminum in the later ones. There was a recall in this...usually you can just pull the window up and put it back on the tracks but in the worst case scenario it will fall out completely.

Boost or GTFO

2012 Volkswagen Candy White CC R-Line 6-Speed manual
Old 01-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

That window thing happened to me as well, 3rd week I owned it! mine is a 2005 with the better clips, so I packed the clips with eurathane, now its never comming out lol. The door windows are a poor design IMO
Old 01-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Points: 35,348, Level: 100 Points: 35,348, Level: 100 Points: 35,348, Level: 100
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Send a message via AIM to fukn_dubn_gti

im pretty sure.. id flip out if that happened to me first thing in the morning and with the weather we have been having.. and thatd heated seat would be CRANKED
Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

I had the same thing happen to me once -- went into the store on a winter night and when I came back I was surprised to see I had left my window open a crack. "When did I open that?" I thought. Then as I was driving down the road, my entire window suddenly fell into the door. I'm not sure how it didn't crack?

When we called our local VW dealership the next day they weren't surprised at all and told us to bring it in. The problem is the clamps that hold the windows in place are made of a very cheap plastic. Sometimes when moisture gets in the door and then freezes, it expands and pushes the windows off the clamps - causing the windows to literally fall into the door. There are even reports of this happening when it gets hot outside, the windows apparently just slip off the clamps entirely. Classic.

There are even multiple reports of this happening multiple times to the same window, but luckily our local VW dealership had a "solution" - instead of just placing the windows back into the faulty clamps, they actually apply an adhesive to the clamps to help hold the windows in place. Since they started doing that they haven't had repeat problems, so it's worth asking your service station if they are going to use an adhesive - hell, even duct tape would be better than nothing.

There's a good web site on Windows Falling Into Door at VWProblems.com.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Points: 1,092, Level: 17 Points: 1,092, Level: 17 Points: 1,092, Level: 17

Send a message via MSN to juangolf28 Send a message via Skype™ to juangolf28

hey i noticed that camouflage interior in ur GTI, if u have that then u must know how to fix the damn bubbless that start appearing with age on the roofs of VW's... is there a way to fix that bro? or replace it with something like urs?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:07 PM
MK4 & MK5 Owner
Points: 36,795, Level: 100 Points: 36,795, Level: 100 Points: 36,795, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

only way to fix the saggy headliner or bubbles is to pull the old junk off and make a trip to jo ann fabrics or such store. get a can of 3m headliner adhesive and start applying. its kinda hard to explain but fairly easy to do. your do have to remover the headliner board from the car. in a gti it is easy...jetta not so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.