VW Forum banner

No Brake Lights!

37K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DrumMonkey 
#1 ·
Hey all. Got a bit of a problem. I noticed last night that the brake lights went out in my 2003 GTI... all three of 'em. Checked the fuses, and all looked good there. Any advice from the experts (that means you!) on where the problem may lie?

New VW owner here, so I'm not entirely familier with the ins & outs of this fun car yet. Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
welcome to the forum. your lite prob sounds like a fuse but its hard to say which one. id say check obviously for any brake lite fuses, then id look for faulty wiring that may have caused the lites to short. i hope all is well though.

#4 ·
eurostylzmk4 said:
100% garauntee you its your brake light switch/sensor located behind the stalk of your brake pedal . very common mk4 issue
I second that.

#7 ·
Thanks for the help, folks. I'll check out the pedal. She's due in for a check-up on Wed, but anything I can diagnose/fix myself (with some help-THANKS!) is always a plus.

If she's still giving me fits, I'll let ya'll know.

#10 ·
Fixed!

Thanks for the help, ya'll pointed me in the right direction. I crammed myself under the dash and applied a little lube to the stalk that contacts the brake pedal, and it did the trick. Thanks again for the assistance.

I tell you what, next to my Cooper S, this little GTI is one of the most fun little cars I've driven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.