VW Forum banner

Question about tune-up for 2003 Jetta 1.8T

14K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  sjkmiec3 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Jetta Wagon 1.8T. The engine light is on and the mechanic guy checked it, it said "misfire". My friend suggests I do a tune-up. I just changed the engine oil and air filter last month. Now I'm going to replace spark plugs, sparkplug wires and fuel filter. I called "Midas", they quoted both parts and labor like $100.65 for sparkplugs, $79.99 for sparkplug wires and $98.68 for fuel filter. Is this a reasonable price?

One more thing is that I checked with Kwik Kar, they said my car doesn't have a fuel filter. Even if I do a full tune-up, there won't be a fuel filter replacement.

I'm confused. Just get this car(my first car) for three months and know little about VW.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Plugs on that car are 2 bucks a piece and they are NGK BKR6E gapped to .032. They are extremely simple to do and paying someone else to do them is a waste of your money. There are no plug wires on a 1.8T as they have coil on plug ignition, the wires running to the ignition coils do not typically go bad at all and should not need to be replaced.

There is a recall on 1.8T ignition coils right now, go see a dealer to get the revised glossy-top versions which fix a lot of common misfire issues.

You have a fuel filter located directly towards the front passenger side of the car after the fuel tank. It is also very easy to replace, the harness is a little tricky to remove but once it's off you're home free. Just remember to pull the fuse for the fuel pump out and then start the car and let it starve the gas lines before it dies out. A fuel filter can be found online at germanautoparts.com for fairly cheap.

Get an OBDII scanner tool and scan the car. Tell us the exact code and we can probably narrow it down for you.

#3 · (Edited)
thank you so much!

I forgot the exact code number we got when Autozone checked it. I only remember the description on that sheet they gave me is "random cylinder misfire, lean air/fuel ratio".

So you think what I should do is to get ignition coils from a dealer and replace both coils and the fuel filter?

#4 ·
Lean air fuel ration could be a clogged fuel filter. Or even a bad/dirty mass air flow sensor. Start with the cheapest first. Clean the maf sensor, change fuel filter, air filter, plugs, then coils. Start cheap and work your way up.

#5 ·
all the coils should be replaced at the dealership. its a recall like he said. they also run a check for codes in that recall as well.

and as far as the wiring harness almost never fails on these, i wouldn't say that. i've replace quite a few of these in my time. if you look at the wiring harness going to the coils, underneath the tape and everything you should be able to see the wires. if they are cracked at the bend, then you would need to get the wiring harness. but there's actually an overlay harness that can be put in so you don't have to buy the whole harness.

for that code that came up, it can be a lot of things. there's a thing called the suction pump that goes out on these. its actually a 3 way checkvalve. its kind of a pain to replace, but thats the most common thing to go out on these engines to give you that code

#7 ·
eww, those aren't good codes. thats going to need some diag time there. the coolant one can be from faulty coolant bottle. the conector part sometimes leaks and then you get coolant migration from the wires. or it could be the waterpump, ect, or thermostat. but as far as those other codes, could be a whole wide range of stuff.

#8 ·
could also be the coolant level sensor..
and like stan said.. those codes are no bueno.

id try this.. its your cheapest bet right now.. new spark plugs.. 10 mins of your time and a spark plug socket and a simple ratchet.. remember to start the plugs in when u put them in with your hands first. dont use a wrench.. could strip the threads and ur really up shit creek. call the dealer ship.. give them ur vin.. they will tell you if ur car has the recall done .. if not.. go there have it done. they will then diagnosis the car further and tell you exactly what is needed.

coolant level sensor again is easy to replace.. unplug it.. screw it out. screw in.. plug in wires.. again 10 mins.

and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.