Question about tune-up for 2003 Jetta 1.8T - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Points: 536, Level: 10 Points: 536, Level: 10 Points: 536, Level: 10
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Unhappy Question about tune-up for 2003 Jetta 1.8T

I have a 2003 Jetta Wagon 1.8T. The engine light is on and the mechanic guy checked it, it said "misfire". My friend suggests I do a tune-up. I just changed the engine oil and air filter last month. Now I'm going to replace spark plugs, sparkplug wires and fuel filter. I called "Midas", they quoted both parts and labor like $100.65 for sparkplugs, $79.99 for sparkplug wires and $98.68 for fuel filter. Is this a reasonable price?

One more thing is that I checked with Kwik Kar, they said my car doesn't have a fuel filter. Even if I do a full tune-up, there won't be a fuel filter replacement.

I'm confused. Just get this car(my first car) for three months and know little about VW.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 PM
No Life Outside VWforum
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Send a message via AIM to TTTurbo1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysquirrel View Post
I have a 2003 Jetta Wagon 1.8T. The engine light is on and the mechanic guy checked it, it said "misfire". My friend suggests I do a tune-up. I just changed the engine oil and air filter last month. Now I'm going to replace spark plugs, sparkplug wires and fuel filter. I called "Midas", they quoted both parts and labor like $100.65 for sparkplugs, $79.99 for sparkplug wires and $98.68 for fuel filter. Is this a reasonable price?

One more thing is that I checked with Kwik Kar, they said my car doesn't have a fuel filter. Even if I do a full tune-up, there won't be a fuel filter replacement.

I'm confused. Just get this car(my first car) for three months and know little about VW.

Thank you.
Plugs on that car are 2 bucks a piece and they are NGK BKR6E gapped to .032. They are extremely simple to do and paying someone else to do them is a waste of your money. There are no plug wires on a 1.8T as they have coil on plug ignition, the wires running to the ignition coils do not typically go bad at all and should not need to be replaced.

There is a recall on 1.8T ignition coils right now, go see a dealer to get the revised glossy-top versions which fix a lot of common misfire issues.

You have a fuel filter located directly towards the front passenger side of the car after the fuel tank. It is also very easy to replace, the harness is a little tricky to remove but once it's off you're home free. Just remember to pull the fuse for the fuel pump out and then start the car and let it starve the gas lines before it dies out. A fuel filter can be found online at germanautoparts.com for fairly cheap.

Get an OBDII scanner tool and scan the car. Tell us the exact code and we can probably narrow it down for you.

Boost or GTFO

2012 Volkswagen Candy White CC R-Line 6-Speed manual
Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM

thank you so much!

I forgot the exact code number we got when Autozone checked it. I only remember the description on that sheet they gave me is "random cylinder misfire, lean air/fuel ratio".

So you think what I should do is to get ignition coils from a dealer and replace both coils and the fuel filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTurbo1.8T View Post
Plugs on that car are 2 bucks a piece and they are NGK BKR6E gapped to .032. They are extremely simple to do and paying someone else to do them is a waste of your money. There are no plug wires on a 1.8T as they have coil on plug ignition, the wires running to the ignition coils do not typically go bad at all and should not need to be replaced.

There is a recall on 1.8T ignition coils right now, go see a dealer to get the revised glossy-top versions which fix a lot of common misfire issues.

You have a fuel filter located directly towards the front passenger side of the car after the fuel tank. It is also very easy to replace, the harness is a little tricky to remove but once it's off you're home free. Just remember to pull the fuse for the fuel pump out and then start the car and let it starve the gas lines before it dies out. A fuel filter can be found online at germanautoparts.com for fairly cheap.

Get an OBDII scanner tool and scan the car. Tell us the exact code and we can probably narrow it down for you.

Last edited by dysquirrel; 01-06-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 PM
MK4 & MK5 Owner
Points: 35,866, Level: 100 Points: 35,866, Level: 100 Points: 35,866, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Lean air fuel ration could be a clogged fuel filter. Or even a bad/dirty mass air flow sensor. Start with the cheapest first. Clean the maf sensor, change fuel filter, air filter, plugs, then coils. Start cheap and work your way up.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Points: 1,480, Level: 21 Points: 1,480, Level: 21 Points: 1,480, Level: 21
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Send a message via AIM to sjkmiec3 Send a message via Yahoo to sjkmiec3

all the coils should be replaced at the dealership. its a recall like he said. they also run a check for codes in that recall as well.

and as far as the wiring harness almost never fails on these, i wouldn't say that. i've replace quite a few of these in my time. if you look at the wiring harness going to the coils, underneath the tape and everything you should be able to see the wires. if they are cracked at the bend, then you would need to get the wiring harness. but there's actually an overlay harness that can be put in so you don't have to buy the whole harness.

for that code that came up, it can be a lot of things. there's a thing called the suction pump that goes out on these. its actually a 3 way checkvalve. its kind of a pain to replace, but thats the most common thing to go out on these engines to give you that code

live for dubs. love it!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Question New codes:(

I just sent my car to a bodyshop and they found three codes:

P3081 Fuel and Air ratios additional emission
P2181 ECT sensor coolant
P0340 camshaft position sensor mistake B circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

any ideas? Thank you!

Last edited by dysquirrel; 01-10-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 PM

eww, those aren't good codes. thats going to need some diag time there. the coolant one can be from faulty coolant bottle. the conector part sometimes leaks and then you get coolant migration from the wires. or it could be the waterpump, ect, or thermostat. but as far as those other codes, could be a whole wide range of stuff.

live for dubs. love it!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Points: 35,052, Level: 100 Points: 35,052, Level: 100 Points: 35,052, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Send a message via AIM to fukn_dubn_gti

could also be the coolant level sensor..
and like stan said.. those codes are no bueno.

id try this.. its your cheapest bet right now.. new spark plugs.. 10 mins of your time and a spark plug socket and a simple ratchet.. remember to start the plugs in when u put them in with your hands first. dont use a wrench.. could strip the threads and ur really up shit creek. call the dealer ship.. give them ur vin.. they will tell you if ur car has the recall done .. if not.. go there have it done. they will then diagnosis the car further and tell you exactly what is needed.

coolant level sensor again is easy to replace.. unplug it.. screw it out. screw in.. plug in wires.. again 10 mins.

and go from there.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 AM

thank you all.

My friend suggests I replace the oxygen sensor first. What do you think?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:08 PM

well if the ect is going out, then its reading weird engine temps. which then changes the air fuel ratio. so depending if its running lean or rich, its going to through other codes. i'd start with the ect and thermostat.

live for dubs. love it!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM

gotcha, I'll talk to the mechanic guy about this. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 PM

a friend helped to replace the coolant sensor($30) and cleared all the codes. With the new sensor, my car's temperature stays around 190F which was very low before and now the heater works very well. It gets warm fast. Hope everything is going on well.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 AM

yeah here's hoping for ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.