Starting issue - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Points: 295, Level: 5 Points: 295, Level: 5 Points: 295, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Unhappy Starting issue

Hello all! I recently purchased a 2001 Cabrio for my daughters first car. It is a really nice vehicle, especially for its age. We bought the car last Tuesday from a local mom and pop dealership. She started up and ran just fine while we did our test drive and for the following two days. On Friday my daughter and I went out to practice driving (she is still on a permit). The Cabrio didn't want to start up and took a few tries to get it going (about 5-7 minutes). When it did start it ran fine. We drove about 20 miles to the Air Base because there is less traffic there. She ran fine the entire way. My daughter then practiced for about 90 minutes. When we took a break the car was idling and then stuttered and shut off. I couldn't get it to start back up. We left the car there for about an hour and came back. I fiddled with if for a couple of minutes and after some hesitation it started. We started driving it back home and the car stuttered and stalled going about 65mph on the highway. I pulled and replaced the fuel pressure regulator and made sure the bowl filled up with fuel (actually overflowed a bit) I also checked for spark from the coil and number one wire. It was getting fuel and spark. Ended up towing the car home and it still won't start. Anyone have any ideas? I know on my old Camaro there was a ignition module inside the distributor that went bad and it had sort of the same symptoms. Is there an ignition module like that on the VW? Thanks for any help you all can give. And yes I tried searching for answer before I asked this, none of the current thread issues seem the same as what is happening to this Cabrio.

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Knows nothing about VWs
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 30,864, Level: 100 Points: 30,864, Level: 100 Points: 30,864, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Sounds like a crank position sensor or massive vac leak. Are you getting a check engine light (CEL)?

BSATUNING
Old 11-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Sorry, I should have added that in the text above. The check engine light works, or at least it lights up when you turn the ignition on, but does not come on when the car is running.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Does anyone know if I disconnected the crank position sensor and disconnected the battery for a few minutes would the computer reset to a basic, yet not optimal mode, and allow the car to start? This way I can attempt to see if that is the issue.

Thanks!
Phil
Old 11-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Will a broken engine crankcase breathing hose cause the engine to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Tags
stalled; won't start;

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.