Supercharger vs Turbo - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Points: 838, Level: 15 Points: 838, Level: 15 Points: 838, Level: 15
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Supercharger vs Turbo

Hey all,

Ok, so i got a 2004 Jetta GLI VR6 and i am wondering what is better to put on my car to get the most horsepower out of it. My friend keeps telling me to get a supercharger for it because it is easier to install, the engine internals could handle them and he said vr6's should have them. My buddy has a 337 ed. with alot of mods. But as i read on here people are all about turbo's even if it is a 24v vr6.

Thanks
Neuspeed Short Shifter
Eibach Sport Springs
18" Krazera KZ-J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31 Points: 2,639, Level: 31

superchargers are the easier way to go for sure, the problem with superchargers is they use engine hp to run. Also the nice thing about them is that are instant power there is no lag.

Turbos provide more HP however they require more than just a turbo to run up to full standards. Turbos are harder to install, and in order to get the most HP out of your motor you now will have to put in an exhaust, new intake manifold, and some others. With turbo you also have a spool up time, which is known as turbo lag. So of the line you will not feel the turbo working. However when the turbo kicks in the power is unbelievable

If you ever go to a race, 1/4 mile lets say. You look at the funny cars, drags, you will notice they all have superchargers on them, because they need the instant power, or off the line power. However you look at circuit races, many cars have turbos in them, basic reason they are already moving therefore the turbo has already kicked in providing the necessary on demand power to make a pass.

Basic thing is Turbo=LOTS of HP...+ Turbo lag, makes for bad off the tine.
Supercharger=Good HP Not as much as turbo...But provides instant results

I have been doing my research i hope that i have been getting it right. But i guess its all in what you want out of your car, how much money you have, and the mechanics you know

Now have a 2009 Dodge ram 2500 (but thats not stopping me from being here...seeing as how i did own a VW for a while!)
-Only because i live in alberta and we are truck guys out here!

Stereo Setup Sold with Jetta- However install in truck is starting to get into motion.
Plans
-ALL JL AUDIO, 2-12W3 subs, 1500W TMA Monoblock, 400W TMA fourchannel, 2 Sets of components, with Double din touchscreen and GPS ALL CUSTOM
Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 PM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Send a message via AIM to TTTurbo1.8T

You don't get your money's worth IMO with a super charger...go with a turbo set up. There are tons of options out there for turbo kits for a VR6

Boost or GTFO

2012 Volkswagen Candy White CC R-Line 6-Speed manual
Old 07-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Posting Elite
Points: 5,224, Level: 46 Points: 5,224, Level: 46 Points: 5,224, Level: 46
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

As Music said Superchargers are good if you want instant power.

However, I personally wouldn't waste time/money on a Supercharger setup for a Jetta simply because the cost to power ratio vs the cost to power ratio of a turbo kit just doesn't compare.

Most turbo kits I have come across for Jetta's are minorly more expensive then a Supercharger kit and will put out much more power.

For example the Neuspeed Supercharger kit for the 2.0L runs at about $2500 and boasts an increase up to a claimed 130hp. Compare that to the Kinetic Motorsport's turbo kit for the 2.0L runs at $2700 and pushes you up to a claimed 160hp at the wheels.

The turbo kit will be a more envolved install but will still give you an overall better bang for your buck.

Now I realize that you have a 24v VR6 vs my research on my 2.0L but the numbers for the VR6 aren't that much different (price wise).

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 35" Cooper Discoverer ATR, 5" Turbo Back MBRP exhaust, Banks 6 Gun, Intake, 45psi boost, 325hp 750ft-lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy View Post
Last edited by slappy; Yesterday at 03:31 PM. Reason: I refuse to double post. I don't want Geezir to call me a NOOB
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 PM

ok, so i should not waste my money on a supercharger, great, one thing solved , now where would i find a realiable and fast turbo kit for a vr6?? internet or local stores?? any personal opinions and/or experience? and by the way, if i got a turbo, would i have to do any other addition modifications to the car ex. new hood (theres not much room in there), engine internals, exhaust??

thanks
Neuspeed Short Shifter
Eibach Sport Springs
18" Krazera KZ-J
Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Posting Elite
Points: 5,224, Level: 46 Points: 5,224, Level: 46 Points: 5,224, Level: 46
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

You can buy online, but stay away from sites like eBay. Buy from specialty shops (like ECS Tuning, MJM Autohaus, etc).

You can find some really good sales online but always remember, if a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is.

A good turbo kit will come with everything you need and will usually run you around $2500-$3000. Hood mod's are not necessary at all, the kit should come with a new exhaust downpipe for the turbo and then sometime in the not so distant future I'd really look into a 2.5"-3" turbo back exhaust.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 35" Cooper Discoverer ATR, 5" Turbo Back MBRP exhaust, Banks 6 Gun, Intake, 45psi boost, 325hp 750ft-lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappy View Post
Last edited by slappy; Yesterday at 03:31 PM. Reason: I refuse to double post. I don't want Geezir to call me a NOOB
Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 PM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83 Points: 16,962, Level: 83
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Send a message via AIM to TTTurbo1.8T

C2Motorsports - Developing Products Through Performance and Quality

They sell great kits for the VR6. 260whp is a good number for a stage I kit which is perfect for a daily driver. A lot of turbo kits for the VR6 have head gasket spacers to lower compression ratio so you can run more boost safely.

Boost or GTFO

2012 Volkswagen Candy White CC R-Line 6-Speed manual
Old 07-20-2009, 10:57 AM

C2 motor sports is an excellent site. It has everything that i am looking for, a complete turbo kit for a 24v, I cant afford these until i save up some more money, I was thinking of getting the stage 2 turbo kit in the near future or do u think it would be better off just sticking with a stage 1+?
Neuspeed Short Shifter
Eibach Sport Springs
18" Krazera KZ-J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.