upgrade the Monsoon sound system? - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Points: 775, Level: 14 Points: 775, Level: 14 Points: 775, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default upgrade the Monsoon sound system?

hey, i've got the stock monsoon sound system in my '04 golf, and i'm looking for thoughts on how good of quality it is. the rear driver side door speaker is out (i've seen this problem other places in the forum) and i'm looking into replacing some speakers (maybe the receiver too) because of it. i'd like to be able to hook up my ipod somehow, rather than use a crappy fm transmitter.

has anyone else done any modifications to their sound system? and what results have you had? whats the weakest link in the system and should be changed first?

thanks yo.
fuzzball
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Points: 134, Level: 2 Points: 134, Level: 2 Points: 134, Level: 2

Default radio

i am installing an alpine in mine. they charge and control ur ipod. i have one in my 96 jetta and love it. i am sure the newer one will work even better!! check the alpine site!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 AM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 10,602, Level: 68 Points: 10,602, Level: 68 Points: 10,602, Level: 68
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Alpine is the shit and has the best sound quality in its price range. I upgraded my head unit first. After doing that I had poor sound quality. Then I upgraded to a 4 channel Alpine, since the rear speakers are 2ohm, I instantly blew them, but had much better sound quality even with only front speakers. Then I upgrade to Alpine type S component sets in the front and rear. Then I thought the sound quality was untouchable intill I added my Audiocontrol EQX, which seperated my highs, mids and lows, now my clarity is clean enough to hear a pin drop. You can hear every note, clearly from a block away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04gti1.8t View Post
i would rather be gay than have a prius
Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.8turbooo View Post
Alpine is the shit and has the best sound quality in its price range. I upgraded my head unit first. After doing that I had poor sound quality. Then I upgraded to a 4 channel Alpine, since the rear speakers are 2ohm, I instantly blew them, but had much better sound quality even with only front speakers. Then I upgrade to Alpine type S component sets in the front and rear. Then I thought the sound quality was untouchable intill I added my Audiocontrol EQX, which seperated my highs, mids and lows, now my clarity is clean enough to hear a pin drop. You can hear every note, clearly from a block away.

ok alpine is the brand i was really liking when i looked at them. i've been on the crutchfield website like 24/7 the past couple of days. right now i'm thinking a new alpine receiver, and 4 new alpine speakers (i'm planning on keeping the stock amplifier, is that a good idea?). i probably wouldn't go with the components because i think the work would be a little more than i'd like, and i'd probably be in over my head.

what is this audiocontrol EQX you speak of? amplifier?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 AM
No Life Outside VWforum

Your going to want to change the amp, because the stock amp is not enough to sufficently push aftermarket speakers. Your car comes stock with components, so it is not any harder to install components as it is coxcoils, and components sound 10X better. The Audiocontrol EQX is a EQ and crossover in one, with it you can adjust your sound how ever you want. While you were on crutchfield you could have checked it out. Here is a link

AudioControl EQX Trunk-mount 2-channel equalizer with 2-way crossover at Crutchfield Signature

Crutchfield is a rip off by the way, unless a good warranty is important to you.

Quote:
Old 08-12-2010, 10:34 AM

i know its expensive, but i like the step by step instructions they include with everything. i don't think i'd be able to do any of the work without them. and i'm not trying to break the bank with a new setup, so that audiocontrol EQX is definitely out of the picture for me unfortunately.

it seems to me that components are a lot more complicated to install than regular speakers. you're saying thats not true?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:24 AM
No Life Outside VWforum

On a car that does'nt have components to began with, yes it would be more work. But the dub comes stock with components, so its just as easy to install components as it is coxcoils. Crutchfields prices are double that of alot of small stereo shops.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Tags
monsoon, receiver, sound system, speakers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.