vr6 clutch slip? - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Points: 576, Level: 11 Points: 576, Level: 11 Points: 576, Level: 11
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Default vr6 clutch slip?

hey guys so I just changed my tranny fluid and a couple days later I'm getting this odd problem. When I give it gas in any gear at any speed it goes with no problem but at random rpms it will slip, no noise or problem it keeps going and sometimes does it a few times in each gear as I accelerate. It seems like a spark plug not firing as its just a very brief loss of power but engine sounds fine and sparks were just replaced with iridium sparks so they better be ok. So could it be my clutch slipping? I have no problem engaging and disengaging the clutch and no bad noises anywhere so before I spend 700 at clutchmasters someone please tell me if this problem sounds familiar.
Attached Thumbnails
vr6 clutch slip?-dscf3262.jpg   vr6 clutch slip?-img_0001.jpg   vr6 clutch slip?-dscf3175.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 PM

to add on to that, it doesnt do it until the engine is warmed up, and the rpms dont change at all from it happening...
Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member
Points: 5,099, Level: 45 Points: 5,099, Level: 45 Points: 5,099, Level: 45
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

I'm not entirely sure but it could be your coilpack. Mine cracked and it caused powerloss. I also had several spark plugs that were done. But I would check your coilpack for sure.
VRalliance #72
Old 12-01-2012, 05:21 PM

well i would try replacing them but my engine has never misfired otherwise thered be an engine code for it and there isnt, and my power is fine it just slips more and more the longer I drive it in a day.. so I dont think its those I'll test them with a voltmeter later to be sure
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Points: 33,638, Level: 100 Points: 33,638, Level: 100 Points: 33,638, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Send a message via AIM to fukn_dubn_gti

by slip...

define it..

like when your driving say.. 3,000 rpms on the highway.. and u mash the gas.. does the rpms wind up.. like skyrocket but yet your car doesnt really increase speed? if so.. thats clutch.

if no.. and it feels like its laggy.. or just like sick or slow.. id do a tune up.
do you know when your plugs were changed last? if no.. or its been awhile.. order plugs and change them.. its a simple job and greatly improves spark therefor clearing any issue like this out. Plus.. spark plugs dont last forever.. they need a freshen up.
same with wires.. changed recently? or no? coil packs only go bad if they crack or if the car misfires.. otherwise coil is fine.
when is the last time you changed the oiL? this can also have alot to do with it. and also.. fuel filter.

all of the above are extremely easy fixes.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 PM

just put iridium plugs in couple weeks ago coils seem fine and no misfires recorded, its time for an oil change but its been 5k miles I doubt its that serious. yes it happens at any random time or rpm, but the rpms do not jump from it happening its just like a sudden hiccup as if a spark didnt fire but thats not whats happening so yea i'm completely stumped
Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28 Points: 2,179, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Crank Postion sensor, any codes?
My car was doing asimilar thing, the rpms would act weird and vary with power loss.
But id deffinatly check that. its pricy tho but if you shop aroug you can get it for around $60
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 PM

Ok time to update this thread...

I was unable to figure out the problem until I drove it enough and finally got a cylinder misfire code. So to go along with the new sparks I replaced the coil packs, and ran fuel injector cleaner through the engine before changing the oil.

SO onto the new problem, as soon as I got the cylinder misfire code this new problem started and is still there. Now under heavy acceleration a deep rattle can be heard and felt what seems to be underneath the passenger seat (on the underside). Now I have plenty of problems with my older car in the means of a bad axle a loose honeycomb in my Cat and a loose heat shield over that, but this noise doesnt resemble any of that lol. Any ideas as to what that can be? My dad suspects bad linkage in the axle but its really deep sound and happens driving straight under hard gas. plz help!

p.s. here's the latest pic of the front
Attached Thumbnails
vr6 clutch slip?-img_2292.jpg  

Last edited by bezserk; 12-27-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Posting Master
Points: 11,445, Level: 70 Points: 11,445, Level: 70 Points: 11,445, Level: 70
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Coil pack mine always does it... I would give it has and it would lag, take a few seconds then it would go. Just cause it doesn't mis fire doesn't mean the cool pack isn't bad. Mine is bad right now I'm just too lazy to replace it. So mine does this all the time mainly in first and second at low rpms
Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 AM

well i changed all that but it sounds like something underneath in the middle of the car is rattling now under real hard accel, and you can feel it in the floor, I'll be driving it all day tomorrow so we'll see if I get any new engine codes but somethings not right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.