VW Beetle radio troubles - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > Other Models > New Beetle

New Beetle VW New Beetle - This is the discussion forum for the VW New Beetle (VW New Beetle Forum, Volkswagen New Beetle Forum, Volkswagen New Beetle)

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Points: 1,138, Level: 18 Points: 1,138, Level: 18 Points: 1,138, Level: 18
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Default VW Beetle radio troubles

i had to disconnected the battery in 2002 VW Beetle and now that I have connected it again my radio won't work. It is a genuine VW radio and have read in service manual it should have the word "safe" in the radio display but mine has "code 1" can anyone please let me know what I have to do to get it to work again as I am suppose to have the word "safe" displayed to be able to enter code not "code 1"

Last edited by loafty; 04-06-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Points: 668, Level: 13 Points: 668, Level: 13 Points: 668, Level: 13
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Uh oh, it sounds like your radio thinks there's been an attempt to enter the wrong radio code into the radio; the next attempt to enter an incorrect radio code will result in a display of "code 2", indicating a second failed attempt.

You must have the security anti-theft code for your Volkswagen radio from the car manufacturer, or from a Volkswagen dealer!

The sequence of programming for a VW New Beetle radio is:
1. Push simultaneous "SCAN" and "RDS" keys until on the screen will appear "1000" displayed.
2. Release keys. No more push on "SCAN" and "RDS" keys because otherwise number "1000" will be considered as first safe code attempt.
For example: we have the security code "5079". Then:
3. By the no.# 1 key you will set up the first safe code digit. Push 5 times on the no.# 1 button. The "5" number will be set.
4. By the no.# 2 key you will set up the second safe code digit. Push 10 times on the no.# 2 button. The "0" number will be set.
5. By the no.# 3 key you will set up the third safe code digit. Push 7 times on the no.# 3 button. The "7" number will be set.
6. By the no.# 4 key you will set up the four-th safe code digit. Push 9 times on the no.# 4 button. The "9" number will be set.
7. Then push again simultaneous "SCAN" and "RDS" keys to confirm this safe code entry.

On the screen will be displayed "SAFE" notice. Release keys! For a few seconds a radio frequency will be displayed. The radio is now ready for use!

Wow! Could this procedure be any more obtuse!

Good luck!
Sport Edition F7 wheels (16"x7")
Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires (205/55ZR-16)
Old 10-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Default Need to enter code but don't have "RDS" button

Thanks, mullardel34, for your detailed answer to the previous poster. I was very excited when I read it, but alas I cannot follow your directions because my radio does not have an "RDS" button.

OK here's my story: I left the lights on and completely drained the battery on my 2000 New Beetle. I used a battery charger to charge the battery and of course, now my radio won't work.
(no I didn't disconnect anything before charging. mistake??)

I have the code. I have the booklet with directions.

My booklet says:
Turn on the radio. "SAFE" will appear in the display.
After 3 seconds, the number 1000 will appear in the display.

But when I turn on my radio the display says
"FM 1 88.3 MHZ man"

Nothing I have tried has changed that.

I have a basic radio / cassette tape player with the optional cd player in the trunk.

All the buttons on the radio are as follows:

Left hand dial: volume (center, not labelled) surrounded by BAL, TREB, FAD, BASS.
Right hand dial: SCAN, FM, TAPE, AM, CD.
SEEK (rocker switch), DN/UP (rocker switch), 1,2,3,4,5,6 preset buttons.

Cassette controls REW, FF, PROG, dolby, MIX, STOP/EJECT.

That's it. If anyone knows how I can get it to the "1000" display so I can try to put in the code, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > Other Models > New Beetle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.