Possible Site Overhaul Poll and Suggestions Thread - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VWF Community Are you new to the forum? Here you can test your signature and avatar. Also, members can post questions & comments relating to the forum here.

View Poll Results: Site Change?
Complete new design and layout. 14 45.16%
Upgrade to vBulletin 4 but keep most things. 9 29.03%
Just a new skin. 4 12.90%
I fear change - leave it alone!! 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Rusty MK2/MK3 Pimp
Points: 14,655, Level: 78 Points: 14,655, Level: 78 Points: 14,655, Level: 78
Activity: 66% Activity: 66% Activity: 66%

Garage
Possible Site Overhaul Poll and Suggestions Thread

Ok guys and gals, I've been having chats with the other mods and admins here and feel that it's time to ask the community.

I understand that vwforum.com used to be a tightly-run ship that got neglected, and then cleaned up by very dedicated mods (thank you!!), however it remains to be the proverbial luxury yacht in the wake of the giant USS VWVortex.

Even though I represent Autoguide.com, I cannot just come in and make changes to the site without consulting the community first.

So how would the community like to see the site evolve? What features do you want? What changes would "you" make? Anything and everything people - I need to hear it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:43 AM
MK4 & MK5 Owner
Points: 45,525, Level: 100 Points: 45,525, Level: 100 Points: 45,525, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Garage
im for it. i think we could loose alot of the threads that dont get used. the members rides section is pretty dead as well as showoff. even at the top of the home page could use updated. the car pics are old. even just a simple vwforum banner would look fine. when i came to this site for the first time i noticed so much clutter. there is so much stuff sticky'ed. especially in the mk4 section. i think the site just needs simplified and cleaned up.

MK4 & MK5 Owner.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 10:01 AM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 11,962, Level: 71 Points: 11,962, Level: 71 Points: 11,962, Level: 71
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Garage
I agree with fubar. So much clutter. Simple and clean is the way to go. I say upgrade to vBulletin and maybe add a chatbox, that'll help keep a lot of conversations out of the the threads they have no business in.

2001 golf gls 2.0 totaled...
1987 Jetta Coupe Deluxe daily and project

Like cars? 'Like'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
featuring all types of vehicles. From the track to the street, on road and off road.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Resident Post Whore
Points: 24,267, Level: 94 Points: 24,267, Level: 94 Points: 24,267, Level: 94
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stealthpassat
I want to say thanks to the mods! They do a great job with addressing things that need to be addressed and also remaining respectful. I know on some other forums they are just ignorant pricks who are power hungry internet nazis and I have almost been on here for three years and it has come along way. So thanks mods!

Back on subject I am all for completely re-designing the whole site. The great and white is too plane jane I think black with white will be sexy, classy, and sporty and I think we need a new way of cutting out all the bullshit idk if out site does this when registering but I know some forums have this and it is to filter out the people who shouldn't be in her. But that is having a question that every vw owner should know in order to register and if they have the sense to use google to search the answer then thats great to because they aren't either someone causing trouble or a spam bot posting ads about purses on a vw site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member
Points: 5,620, Level: 48 Points: 5,620, Level: 48 Points: 5,620, Level: 48
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

I really like this forum but there are a lot of random threads lol... a chat box would be nice. And I never could get the members rides to work right. A lot of the time I would click to see someones album and it would take me to mine...

2001 Jetta Glx Vr6!

VRalliance #72
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Knows nothing about VWs
Points: 37,185, Level: 100 Points: 37,185, Level: 100 Points: 37,185, Level: 100
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

Garage
Overhaul - clean up the "sticky" mess fubar is talking about.. lol

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Rusty MK2/MK3 Pimp
Points: 14,655, Level: 78 Points: 14,655, Level: 78 Points: 14,655, Level: 78
Activity: 66% Activity: 66% Activity: 66%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pssst...passed you View Post
Overhaul - clean up the "sticky" mess fubar is talking about.. lol
You know Mods/SuperMods/Admin can unstick stickied threads right?
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Knows nothing about VWs
Points: 37,185, Level: 100 Points: 37,185, Level: 100 Points: 37,185, Level: 100
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
You know Mods/SuperMods/Admin can unstick stickied threads right?
Yes, but i meant we could do it all at once instead of just randomly....MAYBE have a "resource" forum that all sticky's are place into?

and how can i be a "super mod"?

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Resident Post Whore
Points: 24,267, Level: 94 Points: 24,267, Level: 94 Points: 24,267, Level: 94
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stealthpassat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pssst...passed you View Post
and how can i be a "super mod"?
You greedy moderating s.o.b!

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 03:49 PM
MK4 & MK5 Owner
Points: 45,525, Level: 100 Points: 45,525, Level: 100 Points: 45,525, Level: 100

Garage
we are all guilty of the random chit chat in threads. i try to cut down. plus 04gti1.8t started the if your bored cklick here chat thread. which is good. i think if it were near the top once reddesigned it will help too. we almost need a "car lounge" like vortex. also if we could get a regionals section. it would help others connect with one another in their areas. wether to get help with theeir cars or g2g's. obviously the mk4 section here is booming. i believe its cause vortex is immature. i dont get why there are not alot of active members in the other sections. i notice at the bottom where it says whos online. sometimes its over 100 members???? but where are they? i also notice alot of guests(lurkers). there has to be a way to get these people to jump in.

MK4 & MK5 Owner.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Points: 362, Level: 7 Points: 362, Level: 7 Points: 362, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

what i think is that with the fewer sections you get more peoples reading the same but then again it wil get harder to find relevant stuff when your new. although the tags option should probably be used more.

same i think with area forums. like im from norway, how many should you have.. : )
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:57 PM
MK4 & MK5 Owner

Garage
thats also why i think we need a regionals section. seems we have quite a few from across the pond. trouble is we have different engines. its hard for us to offer help when we dont know jack about the other engines.

MK4 & MK5 Owner.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2 Points: 107, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I'm new to this forum but i belong to several others, and you know what? I almost like it just the way it is! Maybe a new color scheme wouldn't hurt and the chat box sounds like a good idea. That would help reduce clutter in the threads. Also, something that cherokeeforum (i am also a jeep nut) has, is a thread dedicated to just "quick questions". By having that one thread for everyone to ask their questions that need quick answers and even PMing answers back could further help reduce clutter in the threads.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Premium Member
Points: 10,660, Level: 68 Points: 10,660, Level: 68 Points: 10,660, Level: 68
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Send a message via AIM to 05GTI1.8T
go with the vbul 4 its so much better in my opinion

also overhaul the top logo bar and get rid of the god forsaken ads they are EVERYWHERE..... i know u need to keep em but make em less IN YOUR FACE.

lastly i want to add is that we as a community need to create a diy/helpful sites sticky like the master vortex list that has everything u could ever want to know about ur engine / car. that is why ppl lean towards vortex more than to here it is just way more resourceful than vwforum.

also we need to overhaul the classifieds section and make it more active somehow. voretx's classifieds have like the first four pages that are updated daily. where we have like maybe one classified ad that gets bumped once a week. just sayin its lacking a bit and i know it will become more active with more members.

finally i would like to add any diy that i can do when im doin my build. i wanna make that diy section bigger than vortexes. and i hope some of the more experienced members here can add to it too.

we can be the big ship in this picture not the small tugboat steaming along in its wake. it just takes time and effort ppl.

also how does one go bout becoming a mod around here :P ive asked in the past but no one really ever told me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PM Me about VWF stickers

~Brian
05GTI1.8T - Under Construction
ASE Certified Technican
Quote:
vw's run on hopes and dreams bro.

Last edited by 05GTI1.8T; 10-16-2011 at 11:54 PM.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Points: 35,348, Level: 100 Points: 35,348, Level: 100 Points: 35,348, Level: 100
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fukn_dubn_gti
adam (admin) ive told you before where i stand on this topic.. i want an overhaul. we need a new look.. we need to be... idk the right term here.. more modern so to say.. i feel this layout and scheme and everything is old. its been used time and time again by hundreds of forums.. if we ever stand a chance to grow and grow and grow (which we have grown dont get me wrong since the mods (including myself) have worked hard at cleaning this site up). but seriously.. in order for us to grow.. and become larger then we are now.. we need to look more modern.. look at vortex.. people will google volkswagen forums.. vortex and vwforum will come up 1 & 2.. but most people are going to click vortex.. not only because of the number of people.. but because of the look.. this forum looks like a forum on its last leg.. (sorry to put it that way) compared to vortex that looks more modern.

i feel if we change this layout.. and make it a more modern forum.. we will grow.. and i feel that once we grow.. we will be able to get more site sponsors.. more site sponsors means more people... more people mean more sponsors.. its a circle that will never end. you get my point here.

and lastly..

Adam, thank you for being an admin that actually gives a shit about us.. im glad to see you tossed this out to the community for a poll.. and asked not only the mods but the regular members here.. thats awesome.

Mods:
More Than You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Community > VWF Community

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.