Possible Site Overhaul Poll and Suggestions Thread - Page 2 - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VWF Community Are you new to the forum? Here you can test your signature and avatar. Also, members can post questions & comments relating to the forum here.

View Poll Results: Site Change?
Complete new design and layout. 14 45.16%
Upgrade to vBulletin 4 but keep most things. 9 29.03%
Just a new skin. 4 12.90%
I fear change - leave it alone!! 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Rusty MK2/MK3 Pimp
Points: 14,655, Level: 78 Points: 14,655, Level: 78 Points: 14,655, Level: 78
Activity: 66% Activity: 66% Activity: 66%

Garage
No problem. Driving a Dub myself (even though the GF owns it) makes me a little biased haha.

All Autoguide.com sites will be making the update to vBulletin 4. I just do not have a time frame or anything. I've heard over the course of the next few months. Nor can I push a site up the list (if there is one...)
I can however make requests on behalf of the community for the little things here and there, and will do my best to try and implement anything that the community agrees would be beneficial.
That being said, I invite all members and staff, old AND new, to post suggestions on what they'd like to see. I'm not psychic remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Resident Post Whore
Points: 24,267, Level: 94 Points: 24,267, Level: 94 Points: 24,267, Level: 94
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stealthpassat
Good Stuff!

I definitely have to agree with Tyler on this one.
Have you ever seen that if you leave a baby iguana in a small cage the longer it takes to grow but an iguana in a bigger cage grows faster? Well I think vwf is the same right now we now have the potential to grow. We have good mods and a good administrator, we have an optimized search on google (you search volkswagen forum vwf is 2 the only one ahead of it is volkswagen forum because it doesn't get more strait forward than that), we have the fan base, all we need to allow it to grow is a more up to date and fresh styled site. I agree we have to be more broad on the topics theres to many to focus on and it gets confusing to find a place to post a simple thread. Very least make sub topics. I also think we should have a mod for a specific generation for vws. All of them have knowledge but some have more than others in certain years.

To the site lay out. I thin this bluish light gray and white is too blending it hurts my eyes. My opinion is that we need something that has more contrast but is also sexy and modern and not to much. The logo is awesome but the main pics need to go and be updated it has been the same since I joined like 3 years ago.

I think it would be cool to instead of having potm have member of the month. Have the site vote and have a full feature on the car and owner. Also we need to go to more events and have more coverage! Set up a booth set up a tent what ever or just be there with a press pass.

These are my .2 cents whether or not other people agree idc but it is how i see it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Points: 35,348, Level: 100 Points: 35,348, Level: 100 Points: 35,348, Level: 100
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fukn_dubn_gti
^^ i agree..

the photo of the month is finally taking off.. with voting.. presentations.. im hoping its because of myself having the idea to do a theme more so then who has the most ballin ride..

but i think if we did a whole feature on the winners car each month instead of just a copy of the winning pic wouldnt be a bad idea.

having more of a presence at shows like waterfest / h2o wouldnt be a bad idea.. i generally go to both of these for starters.. including vag fair.. etc. and i know myself i promote the site at those events.. and im hoping the vwforum sticker on my car when i show next year will bring more to this site as far as members to

Mods:
More Than You
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Premium Member
Points: 10,660, Level: 68 Points: 10,660, Level: 68 Points: 10,660, Level: 68
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Send a message via AIM to 05GTI1.8T
first off i wanna say thank you to adam for being an awesome admin that actually cares bout our forums un like the last admin who left us high and dry. id also like to thank adam for my generous new moderator position here at vwf,

as for what stealth was touching on i think hes right bout having certian mods for certain areas of the site i would have to say that there should be at least one mod per mark class (example: mk1 forum - 1 mod mk2 forum- 1 mod and so on.) and for some of the sub forums like the beetle and cabrio, eos and cc forums. also it shouldnt be limited to only one mod for example the mk4 forum is huge and one mod by himself most likely wont be able to manage it on thier own.

i wanna add that i too am all for a contrasting theme something that doesnt hurt the eyes to look at for hours on end. i also believe that the top bar picture should be something different but should also incorporate the members of this forum maybe make like a collage of all the most active members cars or something basically im gettin sick of looking at that dam red jetta for three years straight lol.

also as i touched on in my earlier post i would love to see this site become one of the more bigger vw forum sites on the web we are already pretty big but i believe with a little bit of work we could easily exceed audizine or maybe even vortex someday.

and lastly i would like to see a diy section start to grow like how vortex has thier huge list of diy threads. i feel that this site can do the same thing given we gain a few members and get people more mechanically inclined to doing things and showing others how they did it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PM Me about VWF stickers

~Brian
05GTI1.8T - Under Construction
ASE Certified Technican
Quote:
vw's run on hopes and dreams bro.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Points: 35,348, Level: 100 Points: 35,348, Level: 100 Points: 35,348, Level: 100

Garage
i was going to do a lot of diys when i was doing my motor swap.. but at the time i was scrambling to make h2oi.. now that fell through.. and i never even took the pics.. i can try to maybe slap a pulling your own motor diy.. ill try.. and see how it turns out before i post it..

i also want more diy's.. and not just in mk4 either.. all over..

FUBAR if you ever mod anything to the mk5.. or maitenence wise.. even if its just an oil change.. can you make a diy for it? just so we can add a little something to the mk5 section and start a diy sticky there.. maybe itll help other mk5 guys to follow behind???

Mods:
More Than You
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 AM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 9,243, Level: 64 Points: 9,243, Level: 64 Points: 9,243, Level: 64
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

it should be like facebook where if your friends are online you can have a chat window and talk to them.

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Rusty MK2/MK3 Pimp
Points: 14,655, Level: 78 Points: 14,655, Level: 78 Points: 14,655, Level: 78
Activity: 66% Activity: 66% Activity: 66%

Garage
A Facebook-like chat mod is available, but for VB4 and $60 bucks. I know there's a free version, but what the differences are between the two I don't know.

Secondly, I'm not authorized to just add mods here and there. You have to remember this is a corporate website - site structure changes that benefits financially will always take priority over little things like individual chat functions. I can only recommend change-requests if the vast majority of members on the site request it.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 12:22 PM
No Life Outside VWforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
A Facebook-like chat mod is available, but for VB4 and $60 bucks. I know there's a free version, but what the differences are between the two I don't know.

Secondly, I'm not authorized to just add mods here and there. You have to remember this is a corporate website - site structure changes that benefits financially will always take priority over little things like individual chat functions. I can only recommend change-requests if the vast majority of members on the site request it.
yes please do the chat mod i might even pay for a memebership if i like the new version alot.

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM

Garage
ive been wanting to actually become a lifetime member.. but other things keep sucking up my funds..

On a side note.. chat function would be great.. even if it was to just simply instant message a moderator..

it would give us faster responses to on going issues, a thread gone wild that must be shut down, spam reports, and plus help with a step by step way to talk to a member about a problem on there car..

for example.. miller im using you since you most recently contacted me with a check engine light misfire issue.

miller had to private message me.. then i had to pm back.. etc etc.. this was taking the course of several hours to help him solve what he needed to do to fix the problem or let alone walk him through how to change whatever needs to be changed.. the time factor could be shortened greatly if he could instant message me like facebook .. and i can walk him through something and diagnosis with him alot faster.
it will greatly speed up troubleshooting to say the least.

i would love to have member to member talk as well.. but unfornately (hate to bring bad news to this).. there has to be a way for mods to police it as well.. just for simple harassment... bla bla bla. in the forum for example the mods will simply delete a post if its questionable or been broought to there attention as offensive.

but definately at minimum make it where a member can instant message a mod. YES

Mods:
More Than You
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 AM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 11,962, Level: 71 Points: 11,962, Level: 71 Points: 11,962, Level: 71
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Garage
yeah I kinda see bad things happening with a chat messenger. I think the mod to member chat would be great, and a simple chat box at top would be good. some chat boxes allow private messages and mods can still see them.

2001 golf gls 2.0 totaled...
1987 Jetta Coupe Deluxe daily and project

Like cars? 'Like'
featuring all types of vehicles. From the track to the street, on road and off road.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member
Points: 5,620, Level: 48 Points: 5,620, Level: 48 Points: 5,620, Level: 48
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

I agree with a chat that is watched by all. Or at least chat with mods. Private chat could turn dangerous... or naughty O.o

2001 Jetta Glx Vr6!

VRalliance #72
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member
Points: 5,620, Level: 48 Points: 5,620, Level: 48 Points: 5,620, Level: 48
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

And I would become a lifetime member if that meant supporting these needs...just sayin

2001 Jetta Glx Vr6!

VRalliance #72
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 AM
No Life Outside VWforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno990 View Post
And I would become a lifetime member if that meant supporting these needs...just sayin
agreed!

post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member
Points: 9,533, Level: 65 Points: 9,533, Level: 65 Points: 9,533, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

I really like the chat box idea. I am also a member of a firefighting forum and that has a chat box at the top. it has cleaned up a lot of the misc. threads and is very convenient to have. I also like the regional idea a lot. since i am new to the vw world it would be nice to be able to connect with people locally and make some new friends and all that happy crap.

~Mike~
2000 Jetta GLS VR6 - traded in
2003 Neon SRT 4 - mostly stock (for now)
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Points: 17,979, Level: 85 Points: 17,979, Level: 85 Points: 17,979, Level: 85
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Garage
This lay out is really bright.

I'd like the "shout" bar... The message to all little thing going on at the top.

As far as pming, should have it private but with the option to block people.

Would be nice to have all those fancy emotes too.
Interested in membership idea if the site really pulls off the right way.

Quote:
speed without looks is as useful as a girl without tits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Community > VWF Community

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.