VW Forum banner

08 Jetta manual trans

8K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  2001Jettagls 
#1 ·
Hi. I am looking for some help with my daughter's 2008 Jetta. She has kept the car up well but needs to sell it due to another increase in her family size. The car has a 2.5 engine and a 5 speed manual tranny. One of the shifter cables has been disconnected and the plastic mount it is connected to froze and broke off. I am doing this with the tranny in the car and I need to remove the piece that the linkage mounts to by removing the two bolts that have the "special" VW heads, similar to torx screws. My question, if I remove this plate am I likely to dislodge anything inside the tranny that will require disassembly to put back together? I haven't been able to find any drawings, diagrams or pictures on the web that will help with this. Anybody that has experience in this are would be a big help. TIA for any assistance. :confused:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What exactly is broken, I cannot see it in the pictures you posted.

Is it the cable, or the attachment point?

If so, which one? Is it the cable for raising and lowering the shift tower (closer to the engine) This is for the side to side movement of the shifter
or the cable closer to the battery tray (For the forward/rearward movement of the shifter)

#3 ·
08 Jetta 5 speed tranny

The cable is actually broke but so is the mount for that cable. This is the one closest to the engine. The mount is plastic and broke off in the plate on top of the tranny that both of the cables connect to. There are two bolts with the vw special heads on them that I believe will allow me to remove the plate if I take them out. I just don't know if I'm going to dislodge any internal parts removing this plate. If you happen to know I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA

#4 ·
If it's the cable closest to the engine, that controls the up and down movement of the shift tower. It transmits the side to side movement of the shift lever to the shift tower.

"Shift tower" is the aluminum part on the transmission that rotates and also moves up and down. It actually makes the gear selections inside the transmission.

"Plastic Pivot" is the black plastic piece that attaches to the transmission case with a pin, which it rotates on. The shift cable attaches to one end. The other end slides into a groove on the shift tower.

If Anything on the plastic pivot is broken, you should be able to remove the plastic pivot without disassembling anything on the transmission.

It's common for the plastic pivot to seize up over time.

Once you remove the retainer clip, the black plastic pivot will slide towards the motor and at the same time disengage from the shift tower.

#5 ·
The plastic pivot is my main concern right now. It was frozen and it broke off at the point where it goes through the mount on to of the tranny leaving that piece in the tranny. I've tried to push it out, towards the engine but it won't budge. I'm wondering if I remove the "cap" that all of the linkage is attached to will it disturb anything internal?

Thanks again for your assistance.

#6 ·
I just had a similar occurrence with my 2009. The pivot didn't break, it was binding. The shifter inside the car wouldn't self center anymore. I was able to remove the pivot, clean and lube it and put it back together.

I would try to chip away at the broken plastic inside the hole. Eventually it will all come out and a new pivot can be installed. Use a small screwdriver and tap it with a hammer (lightly)

The bolts to remove the shift mechanism are called "triple square" They are like a 12 point torx head. If you do decide to remove them, be sure to completely clean out any dirt and debris before inserting the socket. You DO NOT want to strip these.

Im not sure how easy it is to remove the shift mechanism once these bolts are removed. I don't see any specific instructions in my repair program. Here is a picture. It looks pretty straight forward, but id be afraid of a check ball or bushing falling out of place when removing the mechanism.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.