Volkswagen Jetta 2009 - Overheating Issue - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
MK5 Discussion area for the fifth generation Golf, GTI, R32, New Rabbit and Jetta from 2004.5 to 2008.10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Volkswagen Jetta 2009 - Overheating Issue

Hi

I am having a weird problem with overheating in the car (Jetta 2009 2.5 SE) which happens intermittently and couple of checks at firestone did not reveal anything.

First time it happened, I did not realise it was overheating until dash light making sound and then I let the car cool for few hours and towed it to a firestone, they tried to replicate the issue and could not.

For next two weeks I was driving the vehicle without issues when I noticed gauge is going over 190 and rising, so I started the heater and temp came back to normal. Both of the time AC was working and when the over heating was happening, I could notice AC was not blowing cold air.

Again, I went to firestone nearby and then did pressure check and said no leaks and they cant replicate the issue and cant tell why it is overheating. Now I decided I will not switch on AC for next two weeks and the issue did not happen. Now yesterday I switched on AC at full fan speed and after some driving (not highway but city driving only), the AC was not blowing cold air and I could see the temperature was increasing and I switched off AC and put heater on and temperate became normal. After that I did not switch AC on and car did not overheat.

I took to another Firestone nearby and he said they cant tell and I should leave car for few days for them to figure out. This time when we switched car i idle mode with full AC, the fans were not working. BUt after switching off AC there is no issue. Today I switched on car idling for some time and fans were working when AC on and no overheating and without AC no fans needed.

While driving after 5-10minutes, I check the hood and sometime I see small fan working but sometime no fan on and no temperature overheating.

I do not think mechanic can find issues so wondering any inputs from anyone on what could be issue and is it OK if I keep driving car without AC (if it is not overheating or it can cause damage).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:59 AM
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Looks like your fans aren't working properly. Amazon sells the whole fan shroud + the two fans for really low price $110. I bought it recently and replaced it in my car, it was a pretty easy DIY work.

For that kind of price it may be worth a shot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK5

Tags
a/c , fans , overheating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.